Where do saved voicemails.....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by skinnylegs, Nov 23, 2008.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

....end up when I upgrade my 1st Gen iPhone to a 3G? Do I lose them?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They're on AT&T's server. You don't even have them.

3. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Seriously?

This is a *huge* deal to me because I have a bunch of voicemails from my g/f that I have a strong sentimental attachment to on my current iPhone. I really want to upgrade to a new 3G but I really don't want to lose these messages.

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

If you're keeping the same phone number, I'm fairly certain they will transfer over and you won't miss a beat.

Anyone want to confirm?

5. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

That would be so cool. If so, I'm hitting the Apple Store today!

6. calvy macrumors 65816

Yep, that's what happened when I upgraded. Activated in the store, restored from a backup when I got home, and didn't skip a beat. All voicemail was there, as well as everything else. The only tough part was sitting waiting for all 16GB of music and video to transfer.

And actually, the iPhone does keep local copies. If you jailbreak and ssh into the iphone, you can find them in /private/var/mobile/Library/Voicemail/

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If they're that big a deal I suggest you use the headphone jack to connect to some kind of recording equipment or a computer.

No matter what we tell you, they're not really under your control and the situation could change tomorrow.

8. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

Navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Voicemail there in there just dl them to your comp.

9. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Hey!

You're upgrading to 3G? After all we went through on Day One in Fashion Valley? Whatever for? 3G reception problems, higher per-month costs, hairline cracks....How COULD you?!
    *sniff*

:)

10. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

What's happening, buddy! We should get together and have lunch sometime!

Actually, it gets worse. :-( It's looking like I'm 'gonna have to switch to Verizon and you know what that means. The reality is that I live in a documented dead-zone and I'm primarily working out of my home which renders my beloved iPhone useless.