Where do these things go inside a Cube?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Mar 28, 2015.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

When I took my cube apart these three roller things fell out. I believe they have to do with the handle but can anyone verify the location so I put my cube back together properly?

Attached Files:

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

They go between the processor card and the CPU card, I believe. These are used-at least on stock CPU cards-as support posts to keep the(spring loaded) screws from applying to much pressure on the CPU and pulling out of the socket or causing other more serious problems.

So, in general, they're pretty important.

With that said, I don't know anything about your particular CPU upgrade card-it may have its own support "legs" built in that serve the same purpose.

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You're spot on Ben, I just happen to have my cube open in front of me and I can see those very 3 spacers between the logic and daughter boards.

4. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

That's exactly where they went! My goal this evening was to swap the fan to face the proper direction and fix this issue. Thanks Ben!

Attached Files:

5. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

Gotta love this forum, can always come to MacRumors for good honest help.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Some of us are crazy enough to have taken these things apart enough times that we can identify stuff from a pile of parts.

I was told when I started my watchmaking self-education that I should get to the point where I can throw all the parts of a watch in a pile and be able to put them back together correctly. Surprisingly enough, it didn't take me that long to get there(maybe a month of on-and-off work), although admittedly a mechanical watch isn't that complicated there are only 3-4 major screw types that are pretty readily identified. I feel like I'm to that point with a lot of PPC Macs, especially G4 towers, as I've had more than one down to bare metal and feel like I know them inside and out.