Where do updates of apps go for the apps that you don't have?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GodofDeath, Jul 29, 2009.

1. GodofDeath macrumors member

Hey everyone,
    Running intel macbook, with leopard and w/e the current version release is.
    My question is where do those updates go, when you download updates for apps that you don't have. Like I don't have iLife, but however it insists on downloading updates. So where do these updates go and does it take up space? Also is there anyway to stop the updates permanently?

Thx

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Firstly, why don't you have iLife? It doesn't take up much room.
    My point, you might not have uninstalled completely, for example there may be some preference files still in /Library and ~/Library.

3. GodofDeath thread starter macrumors member

Because it isn't free?
    Not buying software, that I don't need

4. devburke Guest

iLife comes with every Mac. The only reason anyone would ever pay for it is if they're upgrading to a newer version. If you have a Mac, you have iLife (unless you specifically went out of your way to delete it or reinstalled the OS without installing iLife)

5. GodofDeath thread starter macrumors member

Really?
    Ah google it and I see so garage band is part of it which I have. But I don't use these things, I guess I'll update it then.

Out of curiosity, if I wiped my hd, reinstalled leopard, would the iLife still be there?

6. devburke Guest

Not by default, cuz iLife isn't part of the OS (this is also the reason that buying a newer OS won't give you a newer iLife), but iLife will be included on the reinstall discs that came with your Mac, so if you go into them you should find it (it might be under Included Software or something, I don't remember). For that reason, it's important to keep your original reinstall discs, even if you upgrade your OS! My Macbook came with Tiger, and when I got Leopard I did a clean install, but I had to use my old Tiger discs to install iLife.

7. GodofDeath thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, well planning to wipe my hd soon, so don't want the iLife when I reinstall leopard. Hopefully no updates are included then

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

When you reinstall OS X choose custom install and uncheck the programs you don't need.