Where do you buy checks from?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by allisonv7, Oct 27, 2009.

1. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I know most people don't use them anymore, but I just moved and would like to have a box or two of checks on hand just in case something comes up. Plus if I'm giving cash as a gift I prefer it be in a check.

The last time i purchased checks was about 5 years ago, through a bank, but have heard it's much, much cheaper to do it online. There are many different providers out there and was wondering who folks had good/bad experience with.

Thanks,

allison.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

My family has always gotten ours free with Barnes Bank, and I get mine free with America First. I currently don't use checks and I'm at Wells Fargo so I don't know how much they would be. Honestly if I were to give someone a gift, I would give them something like a Visa Gift Card. It costs me nothing and they can use it anywhere and they don't go through the inconvenience of having to cash the check.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Same here. I haven't really checked anywhere else, but they are cheap enough that any savings wouldn't really be worth the hassle.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Plus the fancy checks with designs sort of is less professional, you might love Sponge Bob, but using that for paying business accounts is uber professional.

So the cheapest checks I need are OK with me, rather be seen as a cheapskate, than that cool businessman with the spongebob checks and personalized credit card.

6. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want standard checks - no Winnie the Pooh for me! I brought it up at work today and most people said they purchased from third-partys online. Looking at the bank website though it doesn't really seem to be any cheaper, so I'm not getting the appeal.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here. I pay most of my bills online and use a debit card, so I don't use too many checks.

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You can get checks from somewhere other than your bank? Huh - learn something new every day.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I buy mine from the bank. A box of checks is 20 bucks but one box last me years. The last box lasted me 5 years.
    I wrote checks to pay rent and that was it. Otherwise it was all threw bill pay at my bank.

10. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I looked on a few different Web sites that people have suggested and it looks like it would be a better deal if you're going to buy more than one box ($10/each+$8 shipping) but with me just needing on I might as well just go with the bank ($20/box, free shippping)

Thanks for the responses folks!

allison.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, you can get designer checks from various places.

I have South Park ones. A complete waste of money given the fact I write maybe 4 checks a year, but I love them nonetheless.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Ah - interesting. I write exactly twelve checks per year, so I've never given it much thought.

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I guess my Superman checks are out of the question then LOL.