Where do you change the resolution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kat.hayes, Aug 11, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

Using a 2015 MBP, where is the option to change the display resolution?

Thanks.

2. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Sistem Preferences -> Displays -> Resolution - > Mark SCALED -> Change the resolution how you like it

3. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. The default resolution is 1280x800, it seems low, is there a reason why the resolution is not set higher?

4. ajay96 macrumors 6502

That's the default for retina, i believe it's "true" display is 2560x1600, but it's displayed at 1/2 that. You can try to go to 1440x900, which is what I use most of the time, but it isn't as crisp.

5. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

For clarification, if the display is 2560x1600, why is not as crisp at 1440x900?

6. leman macrumors 604

I never understood that as well. The usual argument is that the default 1280x800 resolution can be mapped pixel-perfectly to the 2560x1600 panel (every logical pixel is simply a 2x2 array of physical pixels) while scaled resolutions must use linear interpolation across pixels (that is, a physical pixel represents a blend of colours of logical pixels). But I think that this is a gross oversimplification of the real story. First of all, in HiDPI mode the content is drawn using sub-pixel precision. Second, the pixels are small enough that linear interpolation shouldn't introduce any noticeable artefacts — after all, any display hardware, be it CRT or LCD or anything else, ends up 'interpolating' the source image in this way or another. Furthermore, I strongly suspect that even in the default (non-scaled) mode the non-HiDPI content is upscaled using linear interpolation rather then simple 2x2 upscaling.

Personally, I can't see any difference in image quality between different scaled modes and the non-scaled mode. Then again, I am not a trained artist, so my eyes might be not good enough. Even if there are artefacts, they would probably be limited to low-DPI images.

7. ajay96 macrumors 6502

The reason that i've always understood is what you basically said, the 2 to 1 pixel ratio. I did notice a battery decrease also if you go to a higher resolution, not much but enough to notice. I do tend to switch between them fairly often, I use a Program that does it with ease from the task bar.

8. leman macrumors 604

Battery decrease is to be expected - maintaining higher resolutions results in a quadratic increase of GPU work/memory transfers. But as I've said, i find it difficult to buy the quality argument.