Where do you do your shopping from?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by leonardwoods, Nov 25, 2008.

1. leonardwoods macrumors newbie

My regards to all, as the web is developing so is the e-commerce business related to it. Most of the people make their purchase online and have some of the sites that they prefer to purchase from, on their list. I would like to know the places that you prefer to make your purchase from and why?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    amazon: because they are such a huge online retailer, and I have always had very smooth secure purchases through them.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, it depends on what I'm buying. I'd always buy computers online, I buy music via iTunes, Vmusic, etc. I normally get appliances retail, movies online (on DVD rather than download). I've never bought food or clothes online although I'm aware that sites exist for that.

I won't bother with naming sites specifically since I'm likely not in your country.

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Amazon usually. Always been satisfied with them.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I buy everything critical from the manufacturer of the product. It it's an Apple notebook, I buy it from Apple. Another thing, I only buy from Apple.com if it's a computer. I have had way too many problems going to the store. In addition, when I buy iPods or things like that, I buy at Apple.com because I am afraid I will not get the very latest version if I go to anyplace else. There always seems to be something we don't know about that the very latest has that the prior versions don't. And, it always seems that I could get an older version if I don't buy from Apple.com.

I see all of the Apple resellers, and I know there are probably a few really good ones, but I have had bad experiences trying to get a deal... Just not worth it to me. Especially when I am buying an expensive computer or want the latest technology like with an iPod.

I am sure a million people are going to say I am wrong and they all buy from all of the resellers, but I have had a few experiences that have made up my mind... not to buy from resellers.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely; this is what I do, too, which means that I buy from the manufacturer, or their approved outlet.

Cheers

7. Oswalds macrumors newbie

Re : Where do you do your shopping from?

I have a few sites upon my list that I prefer to use while I shop. But, the most recent one I have been using is herobits that has a large collection of books, toys, games and videos so that you can select the best from these and make your purchase according to that. You can always browse the price range feature to get products according to your budget.

8. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Newegg or Ebay. Depending on the risk factor/availability I want to take on electronics purchases. Sometimes Buy.com.

CircuitCity, BestBuy or Frys.com when I want to pick up in store right away. I almost never walk in and buy from these places since I use MS Cashback, Upromise or other sites to get additional cashback and/or discounts (this pretty much goes for all my online purchases).

Drugstore.com is also another site I buy a lot of organic personal/health care products from.

Those are my current regulars. I do search around before I buy first, though, to check out any deals, including potential discounts. I buy pretty much everything I can online instead of going to a store.

9. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I get music/TV/Movies from Itunes (US Store). I buy Apple products directly from Apple Spain (not much choice as I live in Spain and there are few 'good' resellers where I live). I get RAM, Hard Drives etc from (OWC) Macsales.com mainly because I don't get charged import fees :) Unfortunately the EURO / $ exchange rate is bad at the moment so I have to reconsider whether purchasing things from the USA is still economical.

10. mets1125 macrumors regular

+1

11. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Here in the UK I tend to buy from the following:

Amazon.co.uk for most stuff, as others have said, always good, reliable transactions.

Play.com for DVD's (and some electronic goods such as I've just bought a netbook sleeve and case from them).

iTunes - Music, (love the convenience)

JohnLewis.com - Random 'departmental store stuff'. Excellent customer service and free delivery on everything.

I still go and buy my food and clothes from real shops. For food, I still don't trust 'Tesco people' to pick the quality of food I would and clothes because I never think pictures do justice to clothes, (although I have ordered from M&S or Next before but only little items).

I may switch between these e-tailers based on prices but I trust them so whoever I buy them from isn't really important.

Oh, and I always go via the Nectar e-store website to collect them points!!

HTH

D

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For me...

Shoes -- Zappos, mostly, but also Shoes.com or Shoebuy occasionally.
    Clothes -- Yoox, Bluefly, and also occasionally Overstock has good stuff
    Electronics -- Newegg, and Amazon marketplace or eBay for some things
    Books -- Amazon marketplace, occasionally Amazon itself, and occasionally Half.com, Apple directly for Apple stuff.
    Music -- iTunes and Amazon marketplace