Where do you find motivation? How do you stay productive?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gator24765, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I have a tough time finding motivation to do anything. I work two jobs combining around 40-50 hours a week, no big deal. I also go to class about 8 hour a week. Keep in mind these jobs are low paying jobs and just pay the bills while I am in school.

I never work out. Luckily I am still looking pretty good. I would rather stay in and do absolutely nothing then go out and meet new people.

Anyway, besides that I am really lazy and tired all the time. There is nothing that I am passionate about and I just sit and watch tv all day.

I start projects but never finish them. For example, home online businesses that have great potential for some extra income. Learning photoshop, illustrator, after effects, final cut past the beginner/intermediate stage I am currently at. I really want to learn these things to improve my personal skill set but once I get started I seem to never finish anything.

How do you guys find motivation and stay productive throughout the day? Any Advice?

Thanks

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

Take a scissors to your internet/cable connections (or disconnect them and save $$$).

Shut off the smartphone.

Get rid of all console games.

Probably solves this problem for nearly 90% of people below the age of 30 now.

3. theyoda3 macrumors member

It is not always practical to completely get rid of the internet, but there is an application that can block specific web sites for a set length of time. This sucker is awesome, http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/. No matter if you quit the application or if you restart the computer, you will not be able to get to the blocked websites until the timer runs out.

4. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

wow that does seem interesting.

Yes, I do agree with the first reply. However, much of my work revolves around the internet so it can't be cut out.

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Motivation? My family. How do I stay productive? I love my job. Learning always provides an opportunity to excel.

$0.02 worth.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Omnifocus is a big help for me. Somehow when you have the individual tasks broken down as part of a larger project, it's a big help towards getting them done.

Just like calorie counting apps help people to start taking dieting seriously, when they actually see it broken down in front of them and not a vague 'do it later'-type thing.

Energy drinks, too.

7. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I don't know, I just do things because I know I'm supposed to do them lol. I guess my motivation is my desire to have decent health, shiny things, and a warm bed?

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I felt exactly like you did until just over a month ago, when I decided to stop feeling like that and go back to the gym. If there is one thing guaranteed to make you feel better, oddly, it's exercise.

I have more energy, my attitude has totally changed, I'm happier and more productive.

On top of that, I've started learning new skills so that I can start working for myself.

Without wanting to sound like one of those horrible motivational speakers, you can turn it around pretty quickly once you realise that you're wasting your life and that you only get one to waste.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Jim's wife approves of your sig.

My motivation: my wife and son. Also, I enjoy what I do. I want to be the best in my profession.

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i would create a list of 3-5 things to do. things can be easily done. something which could give you instant gratitude. when you see that you've accomplished something, that would give you motivation to do more.

hope that helps. good luck.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

12. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I think about what would happen if I didn't do it and if it's worth it.

13. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

It is basically about goals. You have to set small goals you know you can achieve. Once you achieve those small goals you set a bigger one. And ultimately you will have your ultimate goal out of life. Fulfilling goals feels great and helps motivate me!