Where Do You Get a New iPad 2 Cheap?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMacBookPro, Jan 14, 2012.

1. iMacBookPro macrumors member

iMacBookPro

I was thinking about getting an iPad 2 for my son. I was just wondering if there was a website or store to get a brand new iPad 2 cheaper than Apple.com. Should I just get a refurbished one or is there another place to get one. :apple:

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You wont get much cheaper than Apple, Apple discounts are rare, even through third party vendors and e-tailers.

Check slickdeals.net
    And as you mentioned refurb is an option

3. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Even a place like Amazon with a marketplace of third party vendors competing, new price starts above Apple's.

[​IMG]

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

Just pick up a refurb, new shell and new battery with warranty. Wish I'd even known about them when I bought mine or I'd have got one myself

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You would be wise to wait until the ipad3 is released, which reportedly will be in about 60 days. It has been rumored to expect a significant price drop on the ipad 2 then, in order to literally destroy the other tablet competitors.

If Apple does drop the ipad2 down to around $250, say goodbye to any sort of competition.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

That's a pretty big "if." In the first place it assumes that either (a) Apple continues to manufacture the iPad 2 and sells it as a significant loss or (b) it has a huge unsold inventory of unsold iPad 2's when the next model is introduced. Neither assumption seems likely. Furthermore, if the iPad 2 were sold for $250 it would not only undermine competition, it would significantly undercut the sales of the iPad 3.

I suspect that the unsold inventory of iPad 2's would be priced at about $100 (or less) than the current retail price. That would place the least expensive iPad 2 at about slightly less than $400. And without any further manufacturing the sale wouldn't last long.

8. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

It costs Apple around $320 to manufacture an iPad. Now that they've recovered R&D and other costs they can sell it for $349. Its not so much for profit, its for eliminating the competition.

9. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

Something lower would be awesome, but even that price is enough to give the iPad's competition a run for it's money.

I have been itching to buy an iPad 2 and this is what I'm waiting for.

10. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

Check places like quidco. I managed to get £20 off my new ipad 2 (standard apple price, but from carphone warehouse) and new deals are always popping up.

11. TLewis macrumors 65816

That price is probably for the 32GB cell-enabled version. Drop the memory to 16GB (8GB??), make it wifi-only, and they might be able to sell it for $300 (I'm assuming that manufacturing & part costs have dropped a bit).

Source: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110314PR200.html

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you find a new iPad 2 for much less than what Apple sells you need to be very suspicious.

iPad 2 units are still in great demand. Even used one sold on eBay or CL are not cheap.

Apple products do hold a lot of their value.

13. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Every apple product I have owned (except iPhones) have been refurbs. I won't buy any other way. I got my 32gb iPad 2 wifi only with I think £60 off list and comes with full warranties. Other than it coming in a "refurb" box I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference between it and a new one.

Same for the mac mini, appletv, and MacBooks I have bought.

14. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

No it doesnt.

It costs way less. Where did you get that figure from?

1 year ago might have cost near that but i doubt it.

Today the ipad costs hardly anything. Flash and Dram is cheap and screens after getting cheaper than ever

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Where are you getting YOUR figures from?

Your "iPad cost hardly anything" does not say anything for your intelligence

16. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

FWIW, I bought a refurb just after christmas, I love it. My girlfriend and her family got new ones, and there is no way to tell the difference. I haven't had any issues with mine, plus it has the normal 1 year apple warranty. It's a pretty good deal :apple:

17. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Either go with a refurb direct from Apple (which is virtually indistinguishable from new other than the box it comes in), or if you must have a brand new in the retail box iPad 2, Micro Center has them for $50 off MSRP. The only catch is that they only sell them in store and not online.

18. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

I've bought some macs from mac mall.My laptop came with two rebates,a really nice case and some other stuff I can't remember.They may have similar stuff on iPads,at least some free extras if not a lower price.I was happy with the customer service for what that's worth.

19. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Even though the prices have dropped, I don't think it'll have reduced to less than $290. And this is for 32GB 3G model. Cheaper models may cost around $~250. Apple can easily drop $200 off each model when the iPad 3 comes out.

20. NickkyJ macrumors regular

i have been saving for an IPAD 2 White 16gb refurbished. I dont see any bad part with getting it it seems like a sweet deal for me. 466 after taxes.

21. jdugan4859 macrumors newbie

If you have a MicroCenter near you check them out. I bought my 32 gig 3g for $679 VS Apples $729.

22. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Do refurbs come in retail box? Anybody know? How cosmetically "new" is it?

23. The Sweet Love, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

The Sweet Love macrumors newbie

The Sweet Love

Actually if you look at the Apple website it has a picture of the box and states that refurbished iPads come with a new battery plus new outer shell.

24. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

When I was looking for my iPad 2, I was always on CL refreshing every so often.

Finally got lucky today and bought a brand new sealed 16gb for $400.

25. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

Comes in the same box as a new one except for that it says Refurbished in grey at the bottom of the front.