Where do you get ideas from??

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by itouch2007, Sep 9, 2008.

1. itouch2007 macrumors member

Hi,

maybe a silly question, but quite often on this forum people talk how they have hundreds of ideas and not enough time to code them.

I'm quite the opposite - I'm experienced software developer (not with Obj C, but getting there), but I have 0 ideas, thats right - 0!

I'm not talking about something like creating next MMO or something like that..

So yeah, how the heck you come up with your ideas?? Keen to share your wisdom? :)

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

A lot of my ideas come from doing tasks repetitively and so I figure out ways to automate them. All the programs I've written (outside of work) I've written for myself, so even if no one else finds them useful, I still will.

I keep a text file with a list of app ideas, around eight right now. Just wish I had time to work on them all :)

3. Tosser macrumors 68030

I don't code at all. But I do "get ideas". For a living, in fact.

To me, it's about having a base knowledge to draw parallels to and from, getting input (as in getting more knowledge), and from there it's work.

I don't believe in divine inspiration, although some people think my ideas are "pure inspiration", some even think my ideas are "inspired", lol.

Anyway, it's (hard) work, spending time getting an overview of what _can_ be done, what _should_ be done, what can be done, given the time, thinking things through, check whether they'll work or not, do some research, figure out how to implement them, toss ideas to the side (kill your darlings), and be open in order to change the direction of the idea(s).

Oh, and take notes all the way through. And keep a notebook at your side at all times.

As I said I don't code, but I don't think "getting ideas" is much different no matter what you do.

4. DenNukem macrumors member

DenNukem

MacRumors has forums where user congregate and discuss what they want. Just head over there and read and see what strikes you as cool.:cool:

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Far be it for me to claim wisdom, but I've found success in just making what you yourself would find useful. Ideas can come at random, too, or simply from asking others what they would find useful. It helps to give your apps more mass appeal than making them niche, though the latter will probably find buyers in the store to some degree.

Not much of an answer, but that's what I've found so far.

6. itouch2007 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for replays guys!

Here you go, already have 3 ideas now and one is quite interesting, so I'm already started working on it! :D

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Keep in mind that there is a big difference between an idea and a good idea. :D

8. mstoebe macrumors newbie

aaand between a good idea and a good program...
    aaaand between a good program and success... :D

Are you still coding? :)

I got my inspiration back from the days I used my Apple Newton...many things from way back then are still usefull today. Others just strike me while hanging out...some are from my wife or friends...some come up at work (that's mostly stuff I need myself to do my work more easily)...some are ideas from others that I think I can do better (yeah...now come on...as if you never ever thought of redoing that special app ;) )

oh...and that all sums up. Right now I got about 25 Apps "finished" that "just need to get typed in and compiled".