Where Do You Get Spectacular Fruitcake??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Dec 25, 2009.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

When the local grocer just doesn't have a clue.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You don't. Period. There is no such thing as "spectacular fruitcake." Sorry. :eek::(;):D

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

There is, but you have to make it yourself. Waxy immortal bricks from the supermarket should not be held against the genus.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I've had good fruitcake, too. Dunno where to get it, though. Austria? :confused: :p

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I disagree. I've had "awesome" made from scratch fruitcake that I put near Turkish Delight (horrid stuff) on my list. It was awful. My mother-in-law loves the garbage though.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

7. todd2000 macrumors 68000

8. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

While I'm not much of a fruitcake guy. I do like Stollen. There used to be a real German bakery in Colorado Springs that made a Christmas Stollen that was out of this world. Every year before Christmas we travelled to the Springs just to get a few loaves. Alas they have closed their doors and moved.

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I get mine from my aunt Victoria Sponge - it's truly the finest fruit cake in the kingdom.

Not much help to the OP I know, but there you go.

10. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Turkish delight - you obviously haven't had the real thing. There are places in Turkey covered in icing sugar making the most beautiful pistachio filled delight in the universe. It really looks like its been snowing

As for fruit cake - well my mother makes it to die for.....I'd buy a recipe book or look on line - make it - it will always be better. Brandy soaked friut to start with and once made - well leave it for a year. mmmmmmmmmm

11. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Sounds like a great title for an independent movie or animated short.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Isn't spectacular and fruitcake an oxymoron? :)

Unless you're referring to a different kind of fruitcake. I only know one that's spectacular. :D

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

14. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I've never seen this unicorn you speak of. I have however experienced OK fruitcakes with amazingly long shelf lives (or it could be put as "half lives" considering their longevity under proper storage conditions), never fantastic ones as fruit cake is an acquired taste of course. The oldest I recall slicing into and eating the scientists at the laboratory I contracted carbon dated it and gave me a round number somewhere close to the Babylonian empire (or 1963--Depends on how old my grand mom really was considering how spotty her birth record was)....still it wasn't bad.:rolleyes:

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Hmm...you have made me curious now. Which has a longer shelf life, or half life if you will: Twinkies or fruitcake? Inquiring minds want to know!

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

My father once ate a fruitcake in the late 1950's canned as military rations for WWI--it's a surprisingly tough creature, a Twinkey on the other hand won't go bad but it will mummify under similar conditions (stale yes, rot no) most cakes do not stand the test of decades no matter how well you preserve them

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

My wedding cake was a fruitcake. Aunt made it (1978). We kept a small piece in the freezer. After about 8 years I had it... wife chickened out. Still tasted good. Don't be afraid to pour the rum on.

Places to get good fruitcake: Grandma's, Aunt's...

18. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Makes me wonder why we always get fruitcake from old women, is it a genetic trait that kicks in after menopause?