Where do you get your Special Effects?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Lordillingworth, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

Hello, i recently got final cut express 4, i have been messing around with it making various little cloning videos and adding effects and all that sort of stuff.
    I do have some proper things that i want to use FCE4 though! But i also want to mess around with it a bit more (things like this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5G2MrPuYdpA) So i was just wandering i anybody could point me in the right direction for some cheap/free special effects, i am not looking for any specific kind i just want some things to help me learn and get used to everything you can do with FCE.

Thanks, dan

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Are you sure you are talking about special effects? Or do you mean filters and/or transitions?

Special effects (good ones, at least) don't just come from plug-ins. They start with an artistic vision, continue with carefully thought out shots that you need to film/record, and are finalized by editors and compositors using the appropriate tools. A good book to start learning about it and get some practical ideas for how to do things is Apple Pro Training Series: Encyclopedia of Visual Effects. There are tons of other books out there, too; I like to suggest this one because of the wide range of topics it covers.

Or were you looking for something different?

- Martin

3. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

4. Lordillingworth thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for that:)

Thank you very much for that response and the book link, at the minute i am still learning how to get the best results from final cut express so i am currently just looking for some things to have a mess around with so that i will have the understanding to put my proper video ideas into motion at a later date, thank you very much for such a wonderfully written and passionate response, one day i hope to be able to live up to the description of special effects you wrote there, thanks.

lol thanks for the 1337493! rofl kthxbi!

thanks for your responses guys,
    dan