where do you get your stock photos and grahics from?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by X1Lightning, Feb 1, 2008.

1. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

Like the title says, where do you guys get your stock photos and graphics from for the sites you build?

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

istockphoto and fotolia are good choices with very affordable rates.

- Martin

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Seconded for istockphoto. I would complain over the time limit for the purchased credits, but it's not like I'm losing any significant sum of money.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I second that.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I forgot sxc. Just watch out - no watermark doesn't necessarily mean no strings attached. Alot of their photos require you to get permission to use them first..

6. Photomax macrumors regular

What kind of site are you going to produce?

My $.02 is this: I think there are nice advantages to avoiding stock graphics and generic disc photography whenever possible. Why? Well, using stock images is too easy. Everybody does it. Most of the cheaper stock images look like, well, safe "broad appeal" stock images. I see this all the time. A site for so and so or such and such, all using the same bland, safe stock art that is "nice" and "sort of fits..." Sites tend to look the same in a bland, mushy kind of way. Part of building a successful site is knowing the importance of making a statement that stands out and is very focused on the message. Using stock imagery can really get in the way of achieving this goal.

I think a good alternative is producing the images on your own: no one else is using them, they look different, have unique character and quite often are a lot more focused on the topic. Even if some of the images may not be technically brilliant they will shine amongst a see of corporate stock images.

Not handy with a camera? Then make trades with someone that is. Is this for a business? Then hire a local pro. But get UNIQUE, FOCUSED images that really speak to your message.

In the long run its often worth the extra effort or capital...

7. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

up till now i have always used photos that i take and graphics that i create on my own or the client supplies, but some of my sites i have really had a limited amount of content to work with, so I'm just looking for a good site that has photos i can fill the void with.

are there any good sites that supply textures? i only found photos in the links above.

8. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

Adobe Stock Photos. They are free to download!

9. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

last time i was on adobe stock, they were very expensive... i'll have to go back out there and check now

10. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

wait...COMPS are free to download, that doesn't actually give you a license to use them. Have a file and having the rights to use it are two different things.

-JE

11. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I just went back out to adobe stock, they are nuts, $90 for one low res image.
    and the images are not even that good....

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just got this email from Adobe tonight....no more stock photos.

-Kevin

13. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I've used istockphoto, also Dreamstime and sometimes I take my own. Doing your own textures is interesting and no-one else will have them. What sort of textures are you looking for?

14. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

iStockPhoto it has the best range at the best prices.

Corbis is also good but it's very pricey.