Where do you guys repair your out-of-warranty iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SHNXX, May 7, 2017.

1. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I have an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6S+ with broken screens and was wondering what I can do to fix them.
    In particular, I am worried that force touch or Touch ID functions will not work if I get a third party repair shop to do the work, but I don't want to pay the fees Apple pays.

Is there a difference between what Apple offers and what third party repairers offer?

2. Newtons Apple, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Apple will likely cost more. But you know it will work afterwards.

You repair at your local mall kiosk would be with non-Orem parts and might work or not. It will cost less.

The choice is yours!

There have been nightmare stories where the kiosk repair people damaged your phone and you have little recourse against them

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Always Apple.

I used to buy parts from eBay, but you really get what you paid for. The battery that I got did not have a working internal charge cycle counter. A screen that I got have uneven backlighting, and no oleophobic coating.

4. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

I repaired an iPhone 5S from a local shop before, while they do a good job, the 3rd party screen was dim with poor color accuracy, so for screen only it's probably better to go to Apple directly.

5. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

Another consideration is the anti-fingerprint (oleophobic) coating. I purchased a replacement screen from Amazon for an old iPhone 5 I had laying around and I noticed the quality of the screen isn't as good, and it seems to not have any oleophobic coating so it's a fingerprint magnet right out of the box. I'm with everyone else here - it may cost slightly more but Apple is the way to go.

6. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

do it yourself , its not hard. There are hundreds of videos on youtube to guide you every step of the way

7. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

For me, I wouldn't take a chance with a mall repair kiosk. Even though I'd pay more, at least I know that if something goes wrong with the repair at Apple, they'll make it right.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Always Apple. They give you a 90 day warranty with your repair as well.

9. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

You'll wished you had paid the Apple fees when you get your phone back from a third party reseller that botched the job and Apple won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. My sister in law made the very same mistake.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I always go to Apple for my iPhone repairs. It may cost more, but I have more confidence that it is done correctly.