Where do you keep the brightness on your iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SteelBlueTJ, Sep 12, 2014.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

Just wondering what level you keep your brightness? For me, I go with 2 dots. Plenty for me and seems just right. One dot seems to dim. What about you guys?

2. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I use 6 dots.

3. Mac32 Suspended

I recommend f.lux when using iMac in the evening, excellent software - makes the image less blueish/cold.

4. insane79 macrumors 6502

i use 2 dots for normal usage & 3-4 dots for movies/games, i m on the new slim iMacs which are much more vibrant thanks to less glare compare to the earlier models. You using the new slim ones?

5. Siderz macrumors 6502a

During the day with my curtains open, about 2 or 3 dots, when it gets darker about 1.5 dots, at night I use 0.75 of a dot, seems to be the darkest setting without the LEDs completely going off.

I don't exactly follow that strictly but that's what seems to be the average for me.

6. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

I use lowest setting (1 dot) on Imac and macbook with the only exceptions - full brightness for movies and macbook in outdoors/sunshine.

At night I use F.lux to make the screen warmer - so much easier on the eyes!

Strangely it seems Mavericks is a lot brighter on my imac than Snow Leopard even when set to the lowest setting.

7. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

I set it to what's comfortable, usually halfway on a moderately sunny day, around 3m from a shaded window.

Then the sensor just automatically adjusts the backlight according the ambient light it sees in the room.

I haven't had any issues with the automatic function.

I always use f.lux, except sometimes when gaming or watching movies because it glitches with some games, and some movies look bad with it on.

Right now it's night time and I have 3 lights on around 5m away. I have 6 dots.

8. Ipadilac macrumors member

Ipadilac

9. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

10. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

11. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

2 dots usually on this 2011 model iMac. When playing games though, and some full-screen videos watched at a distance (from the sofa), I often have to increase it to at least half-way, sometimes full brightness in a dark game.

I also have f.lux installed as recommended by others on here, it is quite good but makes some video dark late at night so I have to turn it off.

Another thing is I wear contact lenses and especially at night, the light from the screen makes at least one eye hurt a bit. F.lux helps with this but nothing's perfect so sometimes I have to take the lenses out, which means if I wanna watch a video whilst crashed out on the sofa, I have to put specs on.

12. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

2 dots? Are you people bats using sonar to see your screens? I keep mine near the top or maxed.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No kidding. I don't have an iMac (maybe next month!) so I don't know how bright they can go, but I keep my MBP at around 12 dots.

14. zeropointzero macrumors newbie

27" late 2013 model and i keep it on 6 dots all the time. daylight or dark. kinda bright at night but my eyes are use to it.