Where Do You Post Your Good Pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MichaelMidnight, Oct 3, 2016.

1. MichaelMidnight macrumors regular

MichaelMidnight

Hey everyone! Most everyone nowadays, posts their photos on Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram. And there's no denying there's lots of great shots and feeds on Instagram but what I'm wondering is, where do you all post your favorite pictures? You know, you're good shots! Do you post them on Flickr? Do you host them yourselves? Google Photos? What do you do?

2. rbwca macrumors newbie

rbwca

Zenfolio is a good option if you aspire to have a professional portfolio.

3. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

SmugMug is amazing value for money and allows all manner of modification to your site, so you can lay it out how you want to, using simple templates as your base.

4. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Horses for courses. I dont publish in order to sell them, so for friends and family, sharing memories, Facebook. For posting on here and generally putting them somewhere where I can access and enjoy them when out and about, Flickr. Any likes or comments are flattering but I use them only for improving my competency.

Hope this helps.

5. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Only here. I used to post on FM, but stopped some years ago. Tried 500px, but I got the feeling that it was "if you like my post, I will have a look at yours".

For personal use and to share with friends and family I use a server with Lychee.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you have an Adobe Photography CC subscription it includes Lightroom, Lightroom Mobile, Photoshop, and the ability to create your own page on Myportfolio.com. You get up to 2GB of space for the site. You can have multiple galleries each with up to 20 images. Very easy to pick your 20 best images from a Lightroom collection about a given subject, location, or event.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I post some of my photos on a private Flickr account for my personal use and for sharing family events with family. I post some here, and keep others in Adobe's Photoshop Elements Organizer on my iMac.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Share them on here and Flickr. That way I always have easy access to them on my iPhone/iPad or work machine.

I'd get my own website but I'm not going to play the social media game to attract clients, so why bother.

9. anotherscotsman macrumors 65816

Here. I store a lot of others on Flickr and local iMac. Like Kenoh, it's good to share here for comments. Not much worthy of sale so this does me.

10. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

You do yourself an injustice!

11. mellofello macrumors 65816

Is there any way to get high resolution uploads on FB? It broke my heart to see what the compression did to the gorgeous photos I posted from a a7rII

12. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

FB has been mangling my stunning skies for years. Only way I have found is to gimp them myself before uploading them to FB. I reduce the resolution down and I adjust in Lightroom so at least I have more control over the degree of damage they do.

If you find a better way I am all ears - A7Rii user too.

13. mellofello macrumors 65816

I would honestly pay a few buck per month to have high resolution pictures. Even on my phone they looked grainy. On my iMac it looked like pointillism.

14. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Yep. The problem is it cannot handle the smooth transitions and over compresses them.

I tend to link from Flickr now but people tend to not click through that often.

15. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Then go with something like SmugMug. Their "basic" plan which is enough for most users is $3.34 US a month. It's easy to set-up and use and with unlimited uploads and storage, it's hard to beat.

SmugMug also hosts an active online forum, "Digital Grin". It's a community of users that are always willing to help with things like custom coding should you decide to use it.

~ Peter

16. The Bad Guy macrumors 6502a

The Bad Guy

My good stuff goes on my website and Flickr. Client stuff? Facebook. I really should use Instagram more, but I don't like how it wants to crop my stuff and #tags give me the *****.

17. mellofello macrumors 65816

What is the point of putting up pictures if your social media friends never see them

18. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

My friends know where to find them.

19. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

I don't have friends. I force co-workers to look at my photos.

20. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Good plan...

21. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Nice discount being offered on SmugMug right now (31% off all plans): SmugMug Discount

If looking for more information about photo hosting sites like SmugMug and Zenfolio, there's a good article here: Photography Life

22. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Only here. I have a Flickr account that I never use. I am not interested in what random people think about my work, but I value the community here.

23. jordanneo macrumors newbie

I post them on my web site. I'm a concert photographer and post the best of the shows I attend on www.oneintenwords.com. It's on Blogger and in the beginning would mangle colours, especially blue, pretty badly. It seems to be pretty good now.

John

24. someoldguy macrumors 65816

For posting here : Photobucket . Plus multiple hard drives at home ( backups of backups) . Can't be bothered with social media sites like Facebook.

25. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

My site is with Zenfolio.. it's very, very good, reasonably cheap and simple to set up, here is my website: take a look if you like.

As a flickr alternative, I found Viewbug. It's very good, and the standard of work is awesome. Any likes or praise you get tends to come from very good photographers. Great for your moral!

Also it's brilliant for inspiration, and gives you the ability to enter the many, many competitions it hosts.

There are several tiers, some paid, but the free one gives you access to all of the site, but only the ability to enter the competitions marked 'free'.

Check out my page if you like. (Its slightly nsfw so be careful if you're somewhere like that).