Where do you put all your applications?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by domcole, Mar 21, 2009.

1. domcole macrumors regular

Hi,

Could anyone please tell me where you put the applications?

I have just downloaded MSN Messenger for Mac and CoconutBattery and I have put them in the dock.

However, I have a Microsoft Messenger logo in the desktop when I click to open it, it comes up with the MSN logo and then an arrow pointing to the Applications folder.

Is it possible to just move CoconutBattery and the Microsoft Messenger (whatever it is) to the Applications folder? It seems as though I can only copy it.

It would be nice to see how you arrange/keep your applications. Any help with the above would be appreciated.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just copy it to the applications folder and eject the disk image. Then you can delete the disk image file.

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

When a download completes, they are often set up to make things easy for the end user. That window with the MSN logo and the Applications folder is prompting you to drag the icon to the folder.

I like to keep everything in the Applications folder. You can always drag it from applications to the dock later to create the short cut.

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I store mine in a box under the desk... :D

app folder

and to add to dock, launch and select the leave in dock option

5. ebika macrumors 6502

That file you have on your desktop sounds like a .dmg file. Typically, you download an application as a dmg container file and open it, which displays a new window with the application icon in it. You then drag that icon to your Applications folder. Many times, there'll be a alias to your Applications folder inside the dmg so that you can just drag the application icon a few pixels over and drop it on that Applications alias (there'll be a curved arrow at the lower right of icons if they are an alias). At that point, your application is "installed" in the Applications folder.

You should typically be dragging things from your Applications folder to your dock, but not from other places. Most applications should live in "Applications". Also, per your personal preference, you don't need to have everything in your dock. Hitting cmd-space opens spotlight, and you can start typing a name of a program there to locate and launch it (the program QuickSilver and others do similar things).

6. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Got'cha!

Thanks guys.

I've just been playing around with it for around an hour now, my first Mac.

Yeah, I don't know why I asked where do you keep them, bit of a lame question!

Thanks again.

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

no such thing as a lame question unless you ask it twice... Actually, my brother-in-law, the cop, arrested a kid on possession. The kid asked if he could get his baggie back. Lame question.:D

8. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for those links!

Haha, now that is lame.