Where do you put your dock on Imac/MacBook?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Vertigoo, May 2, 2015.

1. Vertigoo macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I am curious where you put your dock on your Imac/MacBook and why.

There are many possibilities: at the bottom, on the right, on the left, a disappearing dock,...

I have an Imac 21.5 inch and put my dock on the right side of my Imac.

I would like to put it at the bottom, but then I feel like it takes too much space (even when minimizing it) and my screen becomes too small (especially with Safari). I also tried to let it disappear and reappear when moving with my mouse to the bottom of the screen, but I always feel like I'm missing something when I don't see the dock.

I know, I'm a difficult person...

Please let me know where you put your dock and why.

2. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I have mine on the bottom because visually I prefer it there. I don't mind losing that space. I've had it on the right before too, but always go back to the bottom.

3. MizuNoHane macrumors member

Usually I put it on the bottom or on the left. I run a dual-monitor setup and for me the dock needs to be assigned to the bottom in order to call it up on either screen (you can't mouse over to the left side of your rightmost monitor and call up the dock, you end up just moving it to the left screen). However, I'm using a 13" MBA and vertical screen real estate is paramount to me, so when I'm using the laptop by itself I put it on the left and rather miniaturized but still big enough that my eyes can distinguish the icons.

4. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I hide my dock because I never use it. I use an app called Alfred to launch other apps and to search files. I began doing this with the 11-inch MacBook Air and have continued with the 27-inch iMac. Another option is to launch and/or search using Spotlight so you never have to look at the dock.

Ultimately this comes down to personal preference. If you're not sure what you want to do, decide which options you think you could live with then use each for a week. That should be enough time for you to decide which you love and which you hate. Good luck.

5. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I've never given it much thought, always kept it at the default bottom center.

6. spades1412 macrumors 6502