Where do you save your files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bingefeller, Jul 28, 2007.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I was browsing through some user's desktop pictures and I noticed that some guys have files and folders scattered over their desktop, whilst others have none. Just wondering where do you guys save yours? Do you keep folders on your desktop into which you save files? Maybe you don't like anything on your desktop other than your Macintosh HD icon?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Samwise592 macrumors regular

I love a clean desktop

the only files i keep on my desktop are ones related to a current project or something that needs my attention that i would otherwise forget about.

Once i dont need it anymore it goes into one of my "user" folers (documents, pictures, etc) and into their respective sub-folders that i create.

4. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Everything goes in its rightful directory!!

And if I don't already have a directory for it, I make one! :)

There is a place for everything, and everything has its place. :apple:

5. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I like a clean desktop too. I just create folders in the user folder to which I save whatever in to. I can never understand how someone could find what they were looking for with loads of icons on the desktop.

A simple dock is also something I like.

6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I am sort of different from most mac users I know in that I don't store ANYTHING on the system drive or the "mac" folders in the home drive. All my documents, pictures, files, music, videos... they are all in folders on other internal drives. Those folders you see when you click the home icon, they're all empty on mine.

7. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

Agreed...with a clean desktop other than just downloaded files/folders until i know where to put it or create the correct location.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my crap folder...:D

Attached Files:

9. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I like to leave my dual screens totally empty. I do not even have my hd icon there. I put the hd icon in the dock but now that i think about it i could just click on the finder icon to do the same thing.

10. kolax macrumors G3

My desktop is full of stuff, but it is organised stuff. Music, Photos, Documents, Videos, Music Recordings, Downloads, TV Recordings, Cubase Projects, Ableton Mixes etc.

Left hand side is my hobbies, right hand side is my personal stuff like hard disc, documents, photos etc.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I like a clean desktop for two reasons, i prefer everything in their proper folders, and I heard that having things on your desktop will slow OSX down.

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

~/Documents for the ramdom stuff I download, everything else goes where it is mean to go, so Videos in ~/Movies (etc).

13. Cfour macrumors member

Cfour

I'm a little sad when it comes to a clean desktop, I have a Safari d/l folder, torrents folder (both are in the Downloads folder in the left hand column of the Finder window) and then all of my photos have all there own folders and all of my documents are sub-categorized.
    I could go on but I'll spare myself the embarassment.

I like to keep it organized lol :)

Cfour

14. kolax macrumors G3

On modern day machines that are extremely fast, I don't think they'd have an impact at all - maybe on slower older computers. Could be wrong though - but I hope not, my desktop is cluttered and I don't wanna tidy!

15. jtrwallace macrumors member

jtrwallace

Well, I, for one, cannot handle anything on my desktop unless it's a recent file or download that needs to be dealt with soon. I have everything super-organized. I also never keep any applications in the dock: it's there only for open applications, my applications folder, my documents folder, and pictures folder. Everything else is opened with quicksilver.

I also removed all drives, cds, and what not off the desktop. Its too easy to just open finder to see those things. Plus quicksilver makes it easy to assign hot-keys to everything I need. I highly recommend quicksilver to every mac user.

Also, when I got my first mac about 2 years ago, I got it because I was awed by my friend's PowerBook. He is probably the smartest person I know and he is a mac genius. I was told that leaving things on the desktop slows OS X down... don't know if that's still the case but I'm not chancing it.

16. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket