Where do you sell your 3 year old iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AndrewMRiv, Dec 8, 2013.

1. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Hello, all. I have owned MacBooks since 2011 but I am receiving my first iMac in the mail this week.

I have noticed that many people buy the 3 year extended Apple care and then sell their macs every three years when the warrantee runs out.

I was just curious as to how everyone sold theirs so that I can start thinking about it over the next 3 years.

Thank you.

2. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I sold my most recent one to a co-worker but I also sell my older Macs to family members too. If that won't work or didn't work I was going to sell on eBay. I've had good luck with that in the past.

3. AndrewMRiv thread starter macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Thank you for your response. I likely wouldn't be able to sell to family since they would want nearly 80% off haha.

When selling on eBay, if you don't me asking, were you able to get a large percentage of your money back?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Easy, Ebay or Craigslist.

5. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Well, computers are similar to cars in that they depreciate pretty fast. I think that getting 25-33% of the original price is probably about fair for 3 year old Mac. PCs probably get even less.

I think a good way to check and see what a fair market price would be is to go to eBay and search for computers similar to the one you are selling. Then choose the option that shows recently ended auctions. You will see the ones that sold, and the ones that didn't. This will give you a good indication of what to expect and what you should realistically ask if using the "Buy It Now" option.

Incidentally, I give my friends and family a discount over what I would sell it otherwise. They get a well treated used computer for a great price and I get to sell it without having to ship it to someone I don't really know. ;)

I hope this helps and good luck to you!

6. 2trout macrumors member

yup, eBay is good, currently selling our old iMac on it!