Where do you sell your old models?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by callison, Dec 5, 2015.

1. callison macrumors newbie

(This is not an advert to sell to any of you--just looking for general advice)

I have an iMac I bought a few years ago. Had bad luck with eBay in the past, and with a craigslist murder in my area a while back, I'm not interested in that route. What routes have you guys gone to get rid of your old iMacs?

Thanks!!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I have had good luck using our local "Green Sheet" which is a newspaper like ad magazine. You pay for the ad and it runs in the new issue for one week. I've also used Craig's List but I'm super careful to meet the person in a public place like a Starbucks. And when I sell, cash is the only thing I will accept.

3. reundo macrumors member

Craigslist and starbucks is my goto for selling old tech.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I usually sell things on Craigslist, though on some of the stuff I've had, I used swappa.

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

Swappa/CL for smartphones and CL for Macs and other stuff.

For CL, I say "let's meet in front of the nearby police station..." - if they balk, that's the end of that. I've never had an issue, but then again, I'm 6'7" 250# - I've only had one CL sale where the guy was bigger than me (and he was a pretty nice guy...).

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Craigslist for large, hard to ship items. eBay for most stuff due to the wider audience. I sold my old MBP on Craigslist and met the person at McDonalds.

8. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I'm an additional Craigslist guy. There's a computer place next to an AT&T next to a Starbucks ten minutes for me so that's the spot!

9. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I bought my current MBP off Craigslist. Since the kid's step-father was a policeman we met at the police station. Very safe for all concerned.

10. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Craigslist + Public place has always been my recipe for success.

I had one somewhat sketchy experience on CraigsList (almost got jacked while selling a couple K worth of camera gear). Fortunately, the public place I picked was a fishing dock/bait shop, where I had a couple 350+lb Samoan buddies working. Things started to head South, my humongous buddies took interest, and the somewhat puny gang-bangers bolted. But that is the only marginal experience I ever had, with C-L.

Nowadays, I also have a CHL, so there's that. But picking a place like Starbucks is a drama-free recipe. No worried, no mess - except for those occasions where people flake, which can happen with any large dollar transaction, anywhere.

11. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

CL as well, public setting is a must. most of my transactions in a public p-lot, McD's/BK p-lot, even the lobby of an apartment complex...

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Usually I use my devices until they are about to die so I don't sell them, but for the one's that I've sold I go with craigslist, just make sure you meet in a public place preferably somewhere that there will be police nearby and you should be fine.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Even if there was no family relations, meeting in a police station is actually really sound advise.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I either pass them on free to friends or family or sell them cheap to friends and family.

15. roniphon macrumors member

I can recommend you Swappa and Amazon.
    But better to present that for a family member like younger brother of sister ;)

16. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Here in France I use a site somewhat like CL to post my ad, and have had several successful sales. When purchasing (which according to statistics can be a little risky) I take along my 2 Doberman just for that added bit of security!

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point that's what's happening with my computers. For instance, I bought an iMac last month, and selling my MBP would have helped offset the cost, but my kids need a computer, so they instead inherited it

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yeah brothers and sisters nephews and parents for me with everything from macs to airport express(they do make good pressies though).