Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsted222

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I'm FINALLY going to start loading old miniDV videos and was thinking I would just transfer them to iMovie.

Is that the right choice or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'm interested in anyone's responses here, too, since I'm a newbie at this stuff. Here's what I'm doing, maybe some of this info will help answer your question.

I've got about 1/3 of my 65 MiniDV tapes imported into iMovie '11. I import them to a 1 GB external drive. Each one-hour tape takes about 14.5 GB for the ".dv" files, and it takes an hour to import an hour-long tape (i.e., import is in real-time from tape).

Then, you can browse/watch them from within iMovie or double-click the .dv file and watch a clip in QuickTime, though you can't really browse them that way very easily.

Now you can use iMovie to create movies for upload, sharing, DVDs, etc. On my iMac it takes an hour or two to create (render) a 2-hour movie and burn it to DVD. I've done this with some of my footage so the family could watch it on our TV.

What I'd really like is for my wife to be able to browse my iMovie library (both events and projects) in read-only mode, from her own computer, but I don't know if that's possible.

I'm FINALLY going to start loading old miniDV videos and was thinking I would just transfer them to iMovie.

Is that the right choice or am I missing something?

Thanks.
You don't say why you're loading them or what you want to do with them... just watch them on the computer, create edited movies, watch them on your TV (easier to just use the video camera), back them up, send or post them for family, etc...

rsted222

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
We are thinking alike

I want to do the same as you describe. I'll probably edit the movies once in iMovie to take away some length. But, I basically want to start creating a library of home movies for the wife/son to watch. My boy is 5 and I've been putting this off long enough. I finally bought a decent camcorder with flash memory for much faster importing.

Thanks for the response and maybe we'll get some good info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.