Where do you store your iTunes & iPhoto libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MrMister111, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

MrMister111 macrumors 68000

My iMac only has a 320Gb internal HDD. My iTunes library is now 100Gb+ and so is stored on an external USB HDD, my iPhoto library is still in a process of being created and so is still on my internal HDD.

This creates difficulties for me to backup though using Time Machine, so can I ask where does everyone store their libraries and how do you back them up?

Thanks

2. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I store my libraries in an external 500gb drive and I have an external 1TB drive set for time machine. In time machine I exclude certain things that I don't care to backup rather than backing up my entire Mac. In addition once a month (give or take depending if/when I remember) I have another 1TB drive that I keep off site and I bring it home one day to copy the contents of my time machine drive to that drive and take it back offsite. This way god forbid something happens to my home I have a backup of my computer outside my home.

3. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

I have both libraries on a Mac mini stored in the AV cupboard. The mini has a bunch of external disks attached to it, and they backup to a Time Capsule.

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

iTunes is still on internal HD iPhoto/Aperture on Drobo

5. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

iTunes (~300 gbs) and iPhoto (~60 gbs) are both on internal HD on my 2TB iMac.

Backed up onto Time Machine (external HD constantly plugged in) and another external HD backup periodically using Carbon Copy Cloner.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If your music is purchased online it might be that you have download rights, so probably only one backup is needed. Ditto if it's ripped from CDs cuz you already have it stored in one other place.

But for photos I'd really want at least two backups. One offsite, preferably (burglars sometimes do take the external as well).

Much of this stuff doesn't require TM or cloning; it's just files. Odds are most of that music isn't edited, so you don't need versions, and same with the photos, certainly the originals. So you can just make copying them somewhere safe part of your workflow of importing them.

Also, consider splitting up those libraries. Stuff like PowerTunes and iPhoto Library Manager allow you more control over splitting them up and yet retaining some user inputted data. If you have a ton of photos maybe Aperture; it lets you divide up and remerge photos into different libraries for use with a laptop; you could do the same with external drives.

Again, I prefer storage in more than one location. Even at least in different locations in the house.

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Do you notice a drop in performance, reading/writing etc from a connected disk for those not stored on internal HDD?

Also I was thinking of maybe putting the libraries onto a airdisk connected to my AEBS? Would this work ok?

For backing up can I backup the airdisk libraries to another airdisk library?

Cheers

8. MrMister111, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Also good tip on the external drive offsite. Do you just copy the iPhoto library file (the package file) and the iTunes media folder to the offside drive, is this good enough?

Also when you say you copy the contents of your TM to your offsite drive , do you just use finder and do a direct folder copy? Could you then use either for TM? Will it recognise the copied drive?

Cheers

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I use my Pegasus R4 for my Aperture libraries, but since I have now got so much space on my imac's HDD, I have left my itunes library there...The R4 takes care of most of my storage needs now. It's filling up though, and I will probably add an R8 before the year is out.

I am a certified compulsive data horder, and I really should delete a bunch of stuff...I go in from time to time, but I'm not short of space, so my data remains !:)

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

LaCie 6TB 2Big Thunderbolt. It is running as 3TB RAID 1 mirror set. Full backup is made to 3TB Time Capsule.

11. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

How many photos are in your iPhoto library can I ask for a 60Gb library file?

I'm wondering as my iTunes library is 100Gb+ to put this on external and keep my iPhoto library on my internal, I imagine the internal will give better performance? Not sure how large the library will be as I have a ton of photos to add that I haven't really started yet.

Also is it better, if using one external HDD for iTunes and iPhoto libraries, to partition the drive in 2 or just use it as one partition?

12. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I use one external drive connected to the thunderbolt port on my iMac and speed wise it's great. I however use time machine on another external drive connected through USB since backup speed is not a concern to me.