Where Does Fusion Install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dpock, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Dpock macrumors member

I'm using FUSION software to run a PC side to my iMac. Where does it load when I install it? In Bootcamp? I want to reinstall my OS X due to a HD problem but not affect the PC side (where I have some irreplaceable software due to losing the case with the serial numbers for reinstalling).

Any advice appreciated.

2. marikavs macrumors member

VMware Fusion and saving Windows installation(?)

I take it by "FUSION" you mean VMware Fusion. Not sure about the question "Where does it load" but I found /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines on my machine with two entries: Boot Camp and Helper (both are folders) for the Bootcamp machine/installation. It's either that or /Users/<username>/Documents/Virtual Machines[.localized]/<name-of-machine> for the independent machine/installation depending on how you use it. I suppose you want to save one (or both?) of those to an external drive and then put it back? Not sure that would work. Maybe VMware Fusion is somehow OS X installation dependent. It might be worthwhile looking at VMware Fusion Help. But why not back up or clone Windows (or whatever you mean by PC side) to an external drive and then bring it back after the reinstall?

For somebody else to help you may want to clarify your question and also add more detail. (Like if you use VMware Fusion with Bootcamp, what virtual machine OS - and version you're using, if you have an external drive, and what exactly you're proposing to do not to have the reinstall "affect the PC side.") They may be able to tell you a better way to safeguard your "PC side" installation. Giving your OS X version may help as well.