Where does Google store user info in iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MacBH928, Jun 2, 2014.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I have an email that I use to register on websites that I am afraid I get junk mail from or that I do not trust. I downloaded the GMAIL app on iPad and signed in.

When I switched to the Google Search app it asked me if I wanted to sign in using the account (the junk mail one) I used in GMAIL. So did YouTube.

I thought these apps on iOS are separated and are not linked together. Where did Google store my email information on my iPad? I know Facebook and Twitter keeps me signed in from the Settings, but there is no such setup for Google accounts.

How can I get rid of it?

2. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

It'll probably be server side. The apps will store your device's UDID on Google servers, linking it with your account; and then when you download a google app it'll check if your UDID exists and if it finds it, prompts you to use the account.

Not sure if you can disable this without deleting your google account

3. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Google uses a feature in iOS called KeyChain. Apps that are by the same developer can access a shared KeyChain.

This shared KeyChain cannot be accessed by other developer's apps, and is only backed up if you choose to encrypt your iTunes backup.

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

If I sign with my main google account, will it go away?

@Xenc , do you mean the same KeyChain app on my mac? because I do not have my "junk mail" account stored in the Keychain.

5. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Yep, you can sign out of the junk account and replace it with your main Google one.

It's a separate Keychain to the one found on your Mac.

6. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928