iPad Where does iPad 5 go when the mini gets Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeDTyke, May 24, 2013.

1. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking about this for a while. When they introduced the mini, apple gave iPad a mid generational boost with the A6X chip and lightning connector.

The mini as it stands is no slouch and I believe whether they give it a A5X or A6X chip in the next gen, couple that with a retina class display will result in no particular reason to buy a 9.7" iPad. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure the A7X is ready to rock. But without a meaningful step up in CPU/GPU hungry features, it's just a little bit faster in real terms.

What I'm trying to get across is that Apple will have successfully cannibalised iPad and I don't think they will just accept that and move on. I think they'll introduce a game changing feature in iPad and only for iPad when they release the 5th gen later this year.

So, open floor. What do all you rumour monkeys think that might be? :cool:

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

There are a lot of people that use the iPad as a laptop replacement. Even with Retina, I just don't see the Mini taking much of a bite from that audience.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

They keep it ahead, power wise. it becomes the 'macbook pro' for things like audio recording, etc. It should keep higher capacity advantages over the mini, as well as higher battery capacities.

The large size stays the workhorse, the mini is one generation behind on power.

That's my guess.

4. MikeDTyke thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is exactly my point. The mini can run all the software the iPad 4th gen can. In order to set these apart in a meaningful way I'm expecting a differentiation in hardware ie a feature that does not exist in the mini or a real paradigm shift software UI. Otherwise you are just playing the specs game.

The mini has all the capacity and features of its bigger brother, it's time for iPad to step forward with something truly unique.

Personally I read the dozen or so patents on patentlyapple.com referring to stylii and smart bezels and can't help but think this might be the direction they take. Even though initially everyone will cry that they're copying the galaxy note or some such android trash.

M.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

Maybe only the large one will have the fingerprint sensor ;)

6. irDigital0l Guest

I think Apple will make the iPad 5 more like what the Surface is.

What I mean by this is more productivity.

-Drops 16GB and 32GB is standard
    -New accessories like stylus or new smart cover
    -Better processor

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

But I don't want to browse the internet on a mini size screen, or read a book on it. Doesn't matter the resolution. Different sizes for different folks, just like laptops. Don't see the problem.

8. Internaut macrumors 6502a

There will always be users who require a bigger screen. There will be Mini users who want a bigger screen from time to time. For example, I like watching content on the Mini when I'm holding it, but when it is stood up on its smart cover, I think I'd quite like the full sized iPad.

Of course, one reason the Mini is with me at the moment (I'm in the middle of a business trip in West Africa, and had to meet Emirate's hand baggage weight requirements) is because it's the Mini.

The other reason I wanted the Mini is the fact I can hold it for hours while reading a novel. That is not the only reason for owning an iPad though. Plenty of users have an iPad plus Kindle.

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for things like GarageBand and AudioBus, running simultaneous effects and recording and synthesis, the iPad 4 can support far more simultaneous stuff going on than the iPad Mini due to it's greater horsepower? For someone using their iPad as a true creative tool, this would be an advantage. Yes, yes, I know pros aren't using this yet, but they will be.

Same for movie editing plugins, in the future.

10. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

I find it interesting that everybody seems to think that -everybody- just -must- have a smaller screen when it comes to tablets. Sure if your taking your ipad everywhere you go I can see why the mini would be nice, but you would have to drag me kicking and screaming to the smaller screen.

Make the ipad lighter, give it a better processor and smaller bezel, and it'll easily still dominate the mini.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My Mini handles DJay fine even while recording the set. The 4 is a powerhouse in comparison.

12. tazz3 macrumors regular

The market will always be there for a 10 inch ipad.

13. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Apple will never sell styluses with is devices. Not happening...

14. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

IOS needs a big overhaul if they expect it to become more about productivity. The lack of a file system and the ability to email attachments of all types makes it unacceptable at the moment.

15. ramm24 macrumors member

7 inches is too small for me. Im not going with the mini route.

16. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Not interested in iPad dinky

To me an iPhone is already an iPad mini. For something larger, the full-size iPad is my choice.

17. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

It is OK if the mini outsells the standard iPad. I prefer the larger screen. I'd actually prefer a letter size screen (A4 would work too).

ID like to see a high resolution digitizer on the larger iPad to make it better for note taking.

18. puma1552 macrumors 601

I'd argue the other way...if the next iPad has smaller borders and less weight bringing it pretty close to the mini, and still outperforms the mini (it always will), then what's the point of the mini?

The only thing people complain about with the full size iPad is size and weight (which nobody complained about before the mini was around...) so if it's reduced in weight and physical size but still keeps the full screen and has more power, I can't see any reason to buy the mini. IMO the mini is just a product that people try to justify really needing - nobody complained about the iPad before e mini was out.

19. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I would rather a retina mini with 12&gb storage, if this doesn't happen I would go back to a full sized ipad 5 if it keeps to the rumors by shedding weight and size.

20. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I'll correct you...even though you aren't actually 'wrong' :). We us the iPad 3/4s 'professionally' two or three times a week. It's handling different lighting and audio duties in our mobile rigs. You ARE correct in what the larger iPad can handle. Especially in the creativity realm (photo/audio/video/design) when compared to the mini. Both because of the extra 'grunt' in the iPad 4 and...for me more importantly, the larger canvas for making happen whatever you're looking to make happen!

DJay is an excellent program...we use it often for Wedding ceremonies on secondary systems. For playback of three or four songs and recording the ceremony....it's unbeatable (although the new Traktor offering is giving DJay a run for its $). However....load up Avid, iMovie, iPhoto, or any of the plethora of music production apps....synths, drum pads, DAWs, et al....and you can bring the A5 to its knees. The A6 on the other side is much more efficient, fluent and less likely to crash out on ya.

I'm with the others as far as size is concerned. I really like my mini....BUT, when it comes down to it...I'll always have the larger iPad as my primary, go to tablet. Not just because of speed and power, but its real estate is perfect....as is its aspect ratio in comparison to all of the 16:9 offerings on the market.

For me, 4:3@9.7" is just about perfect. Shave a couple ounces, refine a few more rough edges and it only gets better!

21. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

The A6 and A6X(2012) are both a dual core processor. The A6X is a 1.4 GHz custom Apple-designed ARMv7 based dual-core CPU called Swift,[2] introduced in the Apple A6 (a less powerful version introduced with the iPhone 5). It uses an integrated quad-core PowerVR SGX 554MP4 graphics processing unit (GPU) running at 300 MHz and a doubled memory subsystem,.[3][4] This produces twice the computing power and graphics performance of the previous Apple A5X processor found in the third-generation iPad.[5] The A6X has no RAM as a part of the chip package and a metal heat spreader, similar to the A5X but unlike the A6 found in the iPhone 5.

The next generation processor will be A7(2014) follow by the A7X(2016). These will be quad core processors. The A7 will more the double the speed of the A6X!

22. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

I prefer the larger iPad screen over the mini any day of the week, retina or not. I have my iPhone for when I'm out and about. When I'm home it's all about the larger beautiful screen. :)

23. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I would say a reason to buy a 9.7" iPad is for the bigger screen!

24. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Actually, the mini runs Fruity Loops and Traktor flawlessly - the fact it's an A5 chip actually isn't as much as a hindrance as people make out. It's not driving a retina display so more of it is used for processing as opposed to driving pixels.

----------

Different strokes - it's more of a choice thing. I prefer the mini for general use and think the iPad 3rd gen I own is actually a monstrous thing by comparison now, however that display is still gorgeous in 9.7" retina.

My next iPad will probably be a retina Mini when it comes along, but it will depend on how many lbs they shed from the larger iPad. If it's more comfortable to hold for longer periods then I would probably switch back to the larger display again... I'm in for what ever suits my needs when the time comes :)

----------

^ Great point made :)

25. MindsEye macrumors regular

I honestly cant see Apple waiting three years to release a quad core iPad and two years after it has been implemented in the iPhone no less. While the iPhone maybe Apple's flagship iOS device the iPad is their most powerful.

As for the topic i cant think of any game changing feature at least hardware wise that Apple could possibly introduce that isn't already in place. You would think that other than the screen size, the retina display would be that killer feature that would sway the masses to choose the 9.7 over the 7.9 but it didn't turn out that way.

I doubt there is any cause for concern over the larger iPad. Apple expected the mini to cannibalize the sales of its bigger brother and that trend will only continue with a retina mini. A redesign and reduction in weight may help to alleviate it a bit but its still most likely going against the clamor of a high res, more affordable mini. My guess is once the idea of retina has died down, the iPad will regain some parity of its sales.

At Any rate its here to stay as a bigger, more powerful configuration and i don't think you can really expect anymore. It still remains the most dominant tablet of its size.