Where does iPhoto pictures get saved?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bosstucker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. bosstucker macrumors newbie

I use iPhoto to upload pics from my camera because of its ease of use and simple clean displaying capabilities, but I think i would like to use another program like photoshop or something to edit. I can't find where these pictures are stored so I can import them to cs3, I have no idea where they are... i found the iPhoto library in the picture folder but its not a folder... does anyone have the answer?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Right click on the iPhoto library and select "Show Package Contents"

Or, just use the export option from inside iPhoto

3. bosstucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, nice, thanks! But if I export it, does that mean all those pictures will take twice the space?

4. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Yes

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

In iPhoto preferences, set photoshop to be your external editor. Then when you are in iPhoto and want to edit, photoshop will open, you can edit, and the photo will be saved right back where it should be. No duplication (except for the ever present "Originals" and Modified").

6. msw123307 macrumors 6502

Also - from what I can tell, when you export it doesn't organize your pictures back into the original folders on your HD. It just lumps them in one folder. They may be fine to use in iPhoto, but once you take them out, it is a mess for me.