Where does iPhoto store my pictures?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wannabelean, Nov 30, 2013.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

I can see the thumbnails and pictures in iPhoto but am unable to find out where they are on my mac. Any tips? Thanks

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

There is a file in ‘Pictures' called 'iPhoto Library' which will contain all of your files.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

pdjudd is correct, but just a warning... don't mess with those files in that iPhoto library file. They are meant to he accessed from inside iPhoto and if you tinker around in there manually you may corrupt the library and have trouble with iPhoto.

What exactly are you trying to do?

4. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to send groups of pictures of some friends. Need to put them on a USB drive.

5. Luc1300 macrumors newbie

Hi

You can do that directly from iPhoto. Just find the pictures you want in iPhoto and select them (click on each photo while holding down cmd) and drag it inside your USB.

It's that simple! You can drag photos from iPhoto everywhere! Inside pages, numbers, keynote, photshop, iMovie, Finder, etc...

You should never go inside the iPhoto library file, even if you're an experienced user, this could mess everything up. iPhoto is already buggy the way it is, no need to ake it worst.

6. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Not even to peek? I just want to look. I promise not to touch her.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Not relevant in this case as you just want to put the photos on a memory stick.

But as well as dragging the photos out to other applications, in most applications if you want to insert a photo the file picker will have 'Photos' in the 'Media' section in the bar on the left, where you can browse your iPhoto library and select photos without needing to open iPhoto.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That's what they all say. :p

9. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502