Where does iPhoto stores the photos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eggy3, Aug 4, 2008.

1. eggy3 macrumors newbie

Hi all!
    I just upgraded to iPhoto 8 and noticed the contents of the library where not stored in the 'pictures' folder on the 'home' folder as it was on previous versions. However the iPhoto file (in the 'pictures' folder that is) increases in size when photos are added.
    Are all your photos embedded in that file?
    If not how do you back up your iPhoto library? AND how do you access photos individually outside of the iPhoto app?
    I didn't find the folder hierarchy very intuitive in previous versions but at least it was all there in folders in the primary 'pictures' folder.

HEEEELP!

Thank you
    17" PowerBook G4

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why did you post in this forum?

iPhoto '08 stores everything in the iPhoto Library. There are no separate folders anymore for image storage.

3. eggy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why I posted on this forum...

Being a mac user with a specific issue regarding a Mac soft, I thought this was the perfect forum, if I misunderstood its purpose sorry for that.
    That said said thank you for your quick reply, but it brings another question;
    is it possible to synchronize the iPhoto file on my machine with my back-up on an external disk ? Or will it copy over the whole data?
    That becomes painful when the file reaches 10 GB...

Again thanks

Eggy

4. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

as far as I can see, this would be the perfect forum to be posting in. I'm confused as to its purpose otherwise.

As for your actual issue, if you go to the Pictures folder where you see that iPhoto library and then ctrl-click on it, you'll have an option for "Show Package Contents". Select that, and then you'll be brought into a finder window displaying the info you're looking for. The pictures themselves are located in either "modified" or "originals" depending on if you've done any cropping/red-eye removal/etc on them. Each of those two folders contain the years of the photos, followed by their event names.

Hope that answers your question.

5. eggy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

cptpower thank you !

This DOES help, it's too bad they still don't hierarchize their inner folders according to the user created folders, rather than years, as when it matters to me I create a folder with the date. It would be so easy to back up. Oh well I'll do as before, I'll copy the content of each folder I created in iPhoto separately into back up folders named likewise.

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Be careful. I've seen numerous threads here about screwing things royally by playing around with those folders. Don't move anything elsewhere.

7. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

seems like the OPs intent is just to copy these files elsewhere, so there shouldn't be a problem. Besides, the worse that can happen is that the file is no longer available in iPhoto (shows up as a big question mark I believe.. I messed around with that a couple times in the past).

Best suggestion for the OP if this is really important to them... upgrade to Leopard and make use of Time Machine. It does all the work for you then. Not saying you have to or anything; just throwing that out there.

8. collinsra macrumors member

collinsra

Thank you!

I am so sick of people who post smart a** answers or replys that do not answer the question. Please keep your comments to yourself. The above quote was exactly what the asker was asking, and the same I was inquiring. Thank you for your help.

9. Annalea macrumors member

Courtesy: Always Appropriate

cptpower was only responding to the first reply to the OP, defending the OP's question and supporting his/her choice of forum. If anyone should be flagellated for rudeness, it should be Tallest Skil (who has already been banned, so it's now a moot point). Time has shown that Tallest Skil has been rewarded appropriately, so there's not much point in polluting a thread that has otherwise been great. ;)