Where does it go from here?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Angry-Birds, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Angry-Birds, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

Angry-Birds macrumors member

I was using my iPad in an undisclosed location today, and I really thought to myself- is there even anything left to improve? I'm sure they have something down the pipeline, but it's such an incredibly good device already that I can't imagine the iPad 4 having any significant improvements the way the iPad 3 did.

You can argue the semantics of evolutionary vs revolutionary all you want, but the display is absolutely incredible (and certainly qualifies the iPad 3 as a significant improvement over the 2):

[​IMG]

2. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Did you make that graph while on the toilet as well?

3. citivolus macrumors 6502a

4. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I agree it's a wonderful device but there's always room for improvent.

5. enragedcamel macrumors newbie

Haptic displays with fully integrated software support.

Imagine taking the picture below with your iPad:

[​IMG]

You take the photo. The software on the iPad then analyzes the pixels on the photo and determines what "haptic profile" to assign to each part of the image. After this processing takes place, you touch the grassy parts of the photo and it feels as if you are touching grass. You then touch the tree trunk and it feels like touching bark. As you pinch zoom in/out and pan around the image, you realize you might as well be touching the actual scene.

After crying with joy, you create a post on the MacRumors forums asking where it goes from there.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Whats the point of even mentioning something so trivial if your not going to say where? Kinda pointless.

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

The thing about innovation is that, if just anyone could come up with the next great thing, it wouldn't be innovative.

8. wharzhee macrumors 6502

one that isnt a battery guzzler, if they could produce something that uses less power like that of the iPad2, with the same iPad3 battery, id have twice as much battery life. thats hot.

and maybe a better charging system.

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I was thinking that today... except about the iPhone, It's a given the new iPhone will have iOS 6... but other than a redesign/4G LTE.. what can they bring to the iPhone hardware and software. I know there is always something but I can't think of it! :eek:

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Not trying to sound rude, but why even include this in ur post?? Who the hell cares where u were when u decided that the iPad was a big improvement over the iPad 2 based on pixel density:confused:

11. emgoodman macrumors regular

That's so weird. I was there with my iPad today too, but didn't see you.

12. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

What I'm expecting the iPad 4 will have, nothing too revolutionary:

Siri
    Cooling system
    Thinner/lighter
    Quad core CPU
    1/2 MP improved camera
    Thunderbolt support

That's all I can really think of, but I am sure that apple has got something new up their sleeves, let's see what they do with the iphone5.

13. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I applaud the OP's attempt at humor even though it seems to be missed on half of the posters here.

On the topic though, there is always thinner!

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

Well it already has an air cooling system so what are you suggesting, a water cooled system?

15. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Speed. Make things work faster. You can always benefit from faster xyz...it's fast, yes, but imagine it doing EVERYTHING twice as fast as it does now.

Speed at less power consumption...

Matt

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

At the cost of battery life.

Realistically thats not going to happen. A die shrink will help but still more speed requires more power.

17. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Yes. Battery innovation (lighter, smaller, runs cooler, charges more quickly, lasts longer), higher memory option (128g), faster processor, ability to send info to/from Mac easily. That's for starters. If I understand anything about Apple, it's that they will always give you a couple of compelling reasons to upgrade. Just enough to make you want the new model.:)

18. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

Exactly! It seems so simple after someone else has thought of it.

19. jsolares macrumors 6502a

I said it before, and i'll say it again, SPHERICAL iPad!!! :eek:

In all seriousness i hope they can improve the display not in pixel density but power draw, it seems it's the biggest power draw on the iPad considering how long it works in hotspot with the display off.

My hats off to samsung if they pull that off, otherwise thinner/lighter doesn't seem possible with quad core even with the node change.

20. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'm still waiting for the AirToaster feature. I'd like to be able to make breakfast via my WiFi network.

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

To do it on 4G would be even better but we may have to way another generation for that.

22. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

What's with the rudeness and cynicism from some posters to this thread? Enjoy being nasty?

I agree with the OP and don't see a whole lot more with the current state of technology that Apple could do.

23. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Wouldn't that require some type of VPN setup? I'm fine with that, turn it on while I'm driving home :cool:

24. brand macrumors 601

brand

No silly we would be using the newly released Back to My Toaster.

25. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Never thought of that! I always new Apple was innovative and revolutionary. :)