Where does it go from here?

Angry-Birds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
I was using my iPad in an undisclosed location today, and I really thought to myself- is there even anything left to improve? I'm sure they have something down the pipeline, but it's such an incredibly good device already that I can't imagine the iPad 4 having any significant improvements the way the iPad 3 did.

You can argue the semantics of evolutionary vs revolutionary all you want, but the display is absolutely incredible (and certainly qualifies the iPad 3 as a significant improvement over the 2):

Last edited:

enragedcamel

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Haptic displays with fully integrated software support.

Imagine taking the picture below with your iPad:

You take the photo. The software on the iPad then analyzes the pixels on the photo and determines what "haptic profile" to assign to each part of the image. After this processing takes place, you touch the grassy parts of the photo and it feels as if you are touching grass. You then touch the tree trunk and it feels like touching bark. As you pinch zoom in/out and pan around the image, you realize you might as well be touching the actual scene.

After crying with joy, you create a post on the MacRumors forums asking where it goes from there.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
one that isnt a battery guzzler, if they could produce something that uses less power like that of the iPad2, with the same iPad3 battery, id have twice as much battery life. thats hot.

and maybe a better charging system.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I was thinking that today... except about the iPhone, It's a given the new iPhone will have iOS 6... but other than a redesign/4G LTE.. what can they bring to the iPhone hardware and software. I know there is always something but I can't think of it! :eek:

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
What I'm expecting the iPad 4 will have, nothing too revolutionary:

Siri
Cooling system
Thinner/lighter
Quad core CPU
1/2 MP improved camera
Thunderbolt support

That's all I can really think of, but I am sure that apple has got something new up their sleeves, let's see what they do with the iphone5.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I applaud the OP's attempt at humor even though it seems to be missed on half of the posters here.

On the topic though, there is always thinner!

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Speed. Make things work faster. You can always benefit from faster xyz...it's fast, yes, but imagine it doing EVERYTHING twice as fast as it does now.

Speed at less power consumption...

Matt

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Yes. Battery innovation (lighter, smaller, runs cooler, charges more quickly, lasts longer), higher memory option (128g), faster processor, ability to send info to/from Mac easily. That's for starters. If I understand anything about Apple, it's that they will always give you a couple of compelling reasons to upgrade. Just enough to make you want the new model.:)

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I said it before, and i'll say it again, SPHERICAL iPad!!! :eek:

In all seriousness i hope they can improve the display not in pixel density but power draw, it seems it's the biggest power draw on the iPad considering how long it works in hotspot with the display off.

My hats off to samsung if they pull that off, otherwise thinner/lighter doesn't seem possible with quad core even with the node change.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Illinois
What's with the rudeness and cynicism from some posters to this thread? Enjoy being nasty?

I agree with the OP and don't see a whole lot more with the current state of technology that Apple could do.