Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Hi all

I have added some TV programmes to iTunes and I have used iTunes itself to edit the meta-data (adding series number, episode number etc). Where is this information stored? Is it associated with the video file itself or does iTunes store this meta-data separately? Just wondering in case I ever reinstall Windows I want to be able to just drop the same information back into iTunes.

Many thanks

M

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
the meta-data is stored in the actual file itself. , this is based on my understanding that "meta data" is defined by the stuff you can type in command i, like name , artist, director, song name, album etc

i went to a movie the i had in my iTunes library , and i filled out command I and then i went to finder and copied the file itself ( which had new dates and times ) to another computer's iTunes library and my edits were still there

Last edited:

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
the meta-data is stored in the actual file itself. , this is based on my understanding that "meta data" is defined by the stuff you can type in command i, like name , artist, director, song name, album etc

i went to a movie the i had in my iTunes library , and i filled out command I and then i went to finder and copied the file itself ( which had new dates and times ) to another computer's iTunes library and my edits were still there

Thanks for that. What I might try is putting the same file on another computer and add it to an iTunes library and see if it has all the same information I've added.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
So I copied over one of the files that I had edited in iTunes with the correct series and episode number. However, the second computer had none of this information and I would have to re-enter it all again. As such, it doesn't appear as if iTunes stores this data in the video file itself. Does anyone know where it is stored?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
So I copied over one of the files that I had edited in iTunes with the correct series and episode number. However, the second computer had none of this information and I would have to re-enter it all again. As such, it doesn't appear as if iTunes stores this data in the video file itself. Does anyone know where it is stored?

when i drag a file from another computer it goes to home videos. can you check to make sure media kind is tv show in command i? other then that, i have no idea.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
when i drag a file from another computer it goes to home videos. can you check to make sure media kind is tv show in command i? other then that, i have no idea.

On the second computer the video type is 'home video' despite me having changed it to 'TV programme'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.