Where does my old system folder go when I move files from a PPC Mac to an Intel Mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jtmacb, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jtmacb macrumors member

I recently had my local Apple store handle moving everything from a G5 PPC Mac to my new 27 inch iMac. I purchased the new 256 Gig SSD. But I can't find where my old PPC System folder is located. I figure it has to be somewhere. Can anyone tell me what it's called and where I might find it? I think I could free up a lot of SSD space if I could find it and trash what I don't need.

2. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Wouldn't the system folder be the kernel and libraries? Which the G5 system wouldn't be compatible with the intel so maybe they didn't move it over and mainly moved the user data?

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

When you migrate from an older Mac to a new machine the old machine does not change at all, the new machine is what is updated. BTW it's best to use Setup Assistant when you initially turn on the new machine. If you want or need help please study:

http://pondini.org/OSX/SetupLion.html

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Depending on what Apple did when they set up the new machine there might not be an old system folder from your old Mac on your new machine.

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

The PPC system folder does not get copied. If it did it would be in /. Your user data does get copied but PPC is not compatible anymore, at all, so it does not even try. Only things they move are Apps and User data. Unless specified otherwise.