Where does one buy a new iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thejoe, Oct 21, 2007.

1. thejoe macrumors newbie

Hello,

I want to buy a iphone, but don't have ATT or want to switch to ATT. I was at the ATT store and they won't sell you an iphone without signing up for a service contract.

Is there another way to buy a new iphone with having to sign up with ATT service contract?

Thanks

thejoe

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ya, either a physical store, or online (with free shipping)

4. Geffen macrumors 6502

You can purchase an iPhone through Apple.com or an Apple Retail Store if you are near one, the AT&T store shouldnt hassle you about signing a contract in the store since you would usually activate the iPhone through iTunes and not inside the store.

5. thejoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll go back to ATT and try and buy one again or tell them I'm buying it as a gift for a friend.

The only apple store by me in at the mall of america about 1 1/2 hours from me. I'll go there next weekend if I'm not able to get one today at ATT.

So the iphone is activated through itune? will all the functions of the iphone work except the phone if I don't activate the iphone for ATT service?

thanks again everyone,

thejoe

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

nope, unless you try some 3rd party hacking tricks. Unfortunately i know nothing about hacks, but a bit of googling or forums search will help you find out how to activate your iPhone without signing up for a contract. It is against the rules though, so it voids warrenty etc...

7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I believe there are 3 or so Apple Stores in the Twin Cities.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You just going to lie and say it's a gift for a friend?

+1 Another person that pisses Apple / ATT off.

9. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

If you don't want the phone part, why not just buy an iPod touch? It may not have some of the things the phone has, but it would be better in your situation since you don't want to change phone providers.

10. thejoe thread starter macrumors newbie

You might be right. I could save $100 or get 16 gb.

buy I already bought the iphone today. This time another sales guy asked if I wasn't to sign up in the store or at home. I said at home and bought the iphone. I was told that if I open the phone and wanted to return it there would be a 10% restocking fee.

Funny thinking is he also told me that you can't use the iphone on there prepaid plans, but when I called ATT dirrect they said if you fail the credit check, you'll get the option for either to choose a plan and deposit with contract or prepaid and no contract.

thanks

thejoe

11. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

he won't piss apple off because he is buying an iPhone so their job is done. What do u care anyways?

12. beeeen macrumors member

I already have at&t, so should I go to the store first, sign up for the plan, and go to the apple store and buy one? I don't really wanna buy one from the store, I trust Apple more. ;)

13. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

it doesn't matter where u buy it from. At&t will just sell u the phone and u take it home and activate and pick ur plans through iTunes. I bought mine from at&t and when I needed to replace my phone, I went to the apple store. The phones are not different and are exactly the same. It doesn't matter where u buy it from

14. philhyde macrumors member

Just go to the apple store, buy the phone, and then come home and fire up iTunes. The activation is so simple. I was able to transfer the number from my blackberry instantly.

Kudos to Apple on the activation process. [​IMG]