Where does Proxima Nova come from?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by MinEderPlayz, Apr 16, 2015.

1. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Hey everyone,

I recently saw someone in my Twitter feed who wanted to use Proxima Nova as his font for a web project but decided otherwise when he noticed the font was $700.
    Now, I get that the pricey version contains special versions of the font, small caps, etc.. but Proxima Nova for some reason is on my Mac, even though I sure did not pay anything for a web font. Maybe some of you know where it could come from? Is it
    a. preinstalled on every Mac
    b. bundled with Final Cut Pro X
    c. bundled with the Adobe Creative Suite?

Option c seems the most likely to me since it also installed fonts like Myriad Pro which is used by Apple on every product they label.
    Perhaps option b is ridiculous b/c I have no idea whether any fonts were installed with FCPX or M5.
    Thanks for responding in advance,
    Tom

2. v871305 macrumors member

I have the CS6 master suite, and it didn't come with Proxima Nova. Can also confirm its not option a. Not sure about option b since I don;t have Final Cut.

If your friend still wants to use Proxima, they can do so via typekit -
    https://typekit.com/plans

They have a great selection of professional fonts for $50 a year.

Alternatively, you can use Google fonts as well - Monsterrat and Muli are good alternatives, you might not get all the weights, but they're free.

3. MinEderPlayz thread starter macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Yeah well that's kind of weird. Since personally I'm not all that into web design I wouldn't subscribe to any service for a font. Yet this very font somehow ended up on my Mac. Will look further into this.