Where does Software Update "cache" its downloads?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by opeepingtomo, May 30, 2008.

1. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

Just wondering, ive downloaded the entire 420mb 10.5.3 update and when it goes to install once it starts "configuring installation" it never goes past it. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and the bar never moved from the initial centimeter or two that it did at first.

I started software update over again, and the 420mb update was still cached so i didnt have to go through the pain of downloading again, but it did the same thing, so now i am going to just download it from the apple site and not through software update.

Before i do though, i wanted to delete the 420mb file that sotware update downoaded and is cached waiting to be installed, except i dont know where software update chaches its downloads... anyone know?

2. rev316 macrumors regular

Try ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/ ?

3. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

i looked there, the entire folder is only 5.2mb, so i doubt its there being that the update is 420mb... any other ideas or does someone know for sure

4. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, i scrolled through looking to see anything obvious and looking in folders like app support and caches, and somehow missed the updates folder... thanks

5. rsranger65 macrumors newbie

Try inside /private/var/folders/lc/9r02gps93mz0vz3w6mj4gjqw0000gn/C/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/content/downloads/