Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

courboy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
Personally, I am looking to sell my 3rd Gen 12.9” iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard and the Apple Pencil so that I can get one of the new M1 MBP 13” units.

I think Big Sur has made things that much more awesome for users, and some of the real estate programs that I am subscribed to don’t work very well on a mobile operating platform.
I’m doing exactly the same thing, except with the 11” pro and replacing my 15” MBP. I’ll then keep my older 10.5” iPad Pro for lounge use (no keyboard), and hope to swap that if a new mini comes out.

I’ve longed foe the day I can use the IPP for my only device, and have tried multiple times over the years. The magic keyboard has helped bridge the gap but everything I do is a workaround. In most cases I end up taking my 15 MBP with me just in case I need it. So taking that and my IPP with case and pencil, seems crazy.

I’m looking forward to having many benefits, like long battery life and silent computing with the MBA and lighten my travel load. The iPad mini will be the perfect companion for this use too.

I still have hope I can eventually go iPad-only one day. Perhaps in 18 months that might be possible as MacOS and iPadOS continue to merge.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Whatˋs not easy about using the 12,9" iPad Pro as a "true" tablet? And what even is a "true" tablet?
For me, it was the size that got me to return the 12.9" iPad Pro for the 11". I just found it too big to use comfortably on the sofa or the bed, or when walking around my classroom. Holding it in landscape mode by the side with one hand grew tiring very quickly. But it was awesome for reading documents in notability though.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I'd be totally up for a 15", but a 15.6" would be very unwieldy ?
MS Surface eBook has a 15" detachable 'tablet'. It looks very manageable for specific tasks. Not for portability
per se. And Apple could offer an (overpriced) pro stand for artists. I think it would be an awesome
product.

Reactions: kltmom

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
Very interesting discussion.

What I don't get is, why not have both? They are very different. The ipad is the epitome of a flexible computing device. I've had the IPP11 for over a year, and use it with the MK since the summer. But using it in tablet mode is still a joy.

I think the M1 macs are interesting, but I think the reviews are a bit over the top. The transition will still be a bit annoying and painful for the next year or two. Apple software quality is not as bulletproof these days, and we can expect growing pains.

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
Very interesting discussion.

What I don't get is, why not have both? They are very different. The ipad is the epitome of a flexible computing device. I've had the IPP11 for over a year, and use it with the MK since the summer. But using it in tablet mode is still a joy.

I think the M1 macs are interesting, but I think the reviews are a bit over the top. The transition will still be a bit annoying and painful for the next year or two. Apple software quality is not as bulletproof these days, and we can expect growing pains.
Having both is not feasible for many people. These are expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.