Where does the iPad fit in your setup?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Appleguy11, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Appleguy11 macrumors newbie

So, I have my 4s, can't live without it, and because I am waiting to see what new products are released I purchased the new iPad, wifi only. And it actually does the basic tasks well, email, iMessage, web, photos, music etc.

I have been debating about doing a couple photo editing projects, one is going to be documenting my getting into shape again. So with this is mind,, been debating getting a iMac or a MacBook pro/thunderbolt setup, but I am left thinking that this might be a lot of extra money to spend on something I could do a little or a lot, hard to say at this point.

And if I was to get a Mac, wold my iPad be left collecting dust?

I've never had so many devices, so I am trying to figure out the best setup to get without just spending excess just to spend, a know?

2. moore2772, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

moore2772 macrumors newbie

I'd use a Mac instead

For the project you're describing, you'll have more options for professional photo editing work if you use a Mac rather than an iPad. If convenience is important, you might consider an Air- 13" would give you more screen to play with. You will pay more, no doubt. There are plenty of things the iPad is good for, so you likely won't let it gather dust. They are cousins- both cool and related, but with different, sometimes overlapping strengths.

If you want to have the luxury of plenty of screen real estate, by all means go with an iMac - esp. the 27". They are incredible for your stated purpose- no compromises, plenty of room, speed, etc.

3. Appleguy11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told that the MacBook air 13" dual core was not good for video editing?

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

You were told wrong....I have edited countless video clips on a 13 inch MacBook Air.

5. Appleguy11 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I am just using iMovie for my videos, the MacBook air with only a dual core processor will do the job well?

6. sixteen12 macrumors regular

It will be more than adequate. It won't be as fast as the newest iMac or Mac Pro but it's more than enough computing power for it.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

there ya go

well put!

8. plucky duck macrumors 6502

At home I would never touch my smartphone. I game, browse the web, and manage my media on my iMac. When I do use the iMac to stream movies that's when I will turn to my iPad to surf the net at the same time. When I am mobile within the house I will have my iPad with me, otherwise it stays in the bedroom for at night in bed use before I fall asleep.

The iMac and iPad has served me well in distinct situations. I don't feel one can replace the other, they compliment each other very nicely. The iPad itself does not make the personal computer workstation obsolete, not based on my usage pattern anyways.

9. NatefromRI macrumors newbie

I use the 4S in so many ways while out and about that I would not have thought I would do. For example, I stream a favorite radio station from my home state or listen to the local police scanner while driving to and from work and use WAZE (free community-based GPS) while going places I haven't been before). While at work, I do online banking, check the weather alerts for incoming storms (North Texas this time of year can be interesting!), email, Facebook and read Ebooks while taking breaks. Also, I have my Google calendar synced with all my devices and use this to schedule or review non-work appointments or events.

At home, I use the iPad on the couch after putting the kids to bed (they will likely have just used it to play games). I use it to stream MLB (Boston Red Sox) games while watching the Rangers on TV or use Flipboard. When I go to bed, I occasionally read an eBook (I use the Kindle reader as well as iBooks), stream a movie from my MAC to the iPad or watch Netflix.

I use my iMac to rip movies to my iTunes library w/Handbrake, manage and edit photos in iPhoto or Photoshop, learn XCode and use Microsoft Office for MAC.

Oh, I also have Apple TV because I had a ROKU player to stream movies to my TV using PLEX but it wasn't exactly as smooth as Apple TV handles my iTunes collection.

So for me, there is a definite use for each of the devices. I really love how they all work well with and compliment each other. I wouldn't want to watch a movie on a laptop in bed, but an iPad works beautifully. I can't do XCode on an iPad or iPhone, but the iMac is right there. They each serve their purpose.

Plus, the iPad has a serious battery life which is great for reading eBooks and watching movies.