Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Just wondering. i plan on using it clamshell style sometime soon and plugging into an external monitor. I've had a very bad experience with my last Macbook. Used it as a desktop system most of the time and one day I go to take it on a trip and the battery is bulging.

Also, what is the best way to power it. I've already conditioned the battery and was wondering if I should let it run down most or all of the way before i plug it in, plug it in whenever, or leave it plugged in as much as possible.

Thanks.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
Heat escapes thru the vents and also thru the body of the machine.

As for the battery, I treat mine like I would fill my gas tank.

Never let it get below 50% if you plan on going anywhere.

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
I try to keep mine plugged in as much as possible. You only have a certain amount of charge cycles and I like to be as judicious as possible with them.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There's a vent under the back hinge. Plus the keyboard lets some air in, even in clamshell mode.

Keep it plugged in all the time, but unplug it to run down the battery somewhere between once a month and a couple times a year, if your normal use at the coffee shop (et.al.) or on trips doesn't do that for you already.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I try to keep mine plugged in as much as possible. You only have a certain amount of charge cycles and I like to be as judicious as possible with them.

Yes. 1000. That's 5000 hours of battery usage, or 208 full days. Give it a run off the leash once in a while. ;)

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The aluminum unibody acts as a heat sink which allows the Air to dissipate heat. As a result, the computer will feel hotter than it /really/ is. There is also a vent at the bottom of the screen (near that black border).

As for battery usage, as long as you run down the battery once a month, giving you 12 cycles per year in a conservative use, I think leaving it plugged in is completely fine. That's what I do, and I get 7-8 hours in text edit, and anywhere between 5-7 hours during light web browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.