Where does the new AppleTV leave Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by godslabrat, Sep 26, 2010.

1. godslabrat macrumors 6502

With the new ATV being $99, I'm failing to see where the Airport Express fits into the grand scheme of things. For the same price, it's almost the same product, perhaps with a slightly different application. One is primaily a video device, the other primarily audio, but having them both at the same price is just silly. Do you see approve drop in the AE's future?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It's still a portable router and wifi access point. I do see price drop now, however. $69 new would better.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

Express
    -printing
    -creates or extends wireless network
    -can function as a wireless to wired bridge.

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Airport Express is great for turning hotel wired-only internet into wireless. Even for hotels that have wireless, they can be bandwidth challenged when everyone is using it, so creating your own wireless off the in-room internet connection can be better.

I don't see the Airport Express as a similar product at all. The Apple TV has no capabilities as a WAP.

5. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

The Express is perfect for just taking places, I doubt anything will change. :)

6. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

I say combine the two, Express and App. TV. Then add the apple tv to the Time capsule.