Where does your avatar come from as it shows up in group messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Dec 18, 2013.

1. TH55, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

TH55 macrumors 68030

My sister showed me a picture that shows up in my group messages and contact info and I have no idea how it got there?? Why on earth would Apple automatically find an image of you??

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're on Facebook right? Is the picture one from Facebook?

You've given the Facebook app access to your contacts, also access in Settngs>Facebook?

Then, if so, that's how it's been collected.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

No picture shows up for me. As I'm not on Facebook eyoungren is probably right.

4. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm on Facebook but that's not the picture that shows up. How would it get that image anyway??

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They have the ability to link any photos associated with your name. Just google yourself. Don't like that? Then don't use ANY social media (including google). Even then it's beyond your control.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As JayLenoChiniMac said, if you're on Facebook and have given the OS and the app permission to access your Contacts then it (the system, the app) can pull any photo from Facebook and use it.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's a group message on her phone? Then it's the contact picture she set for you. Each person can add whatever picture they want as your contact photo on their phone.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Your OP makes it sound like your sister had no idea where it came from but if she didn't say anything she likely set it herself.

10. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, she had no idea where it came from. It's still possible she set it accidentally, but she was making fun of it so I doubt it. It was a goofy image I got offline that I had as my Gmail avatar years ago. Is it possible Apple somehow got it offline?

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sounds like she had gmail and used a program to import everything (including avatars) to contacts, which then show up in messages.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ah that makes sense. As long as Apple didn't pull that offline and it isn't what everyone sees I'm cool.

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Your sister probably had given FB access to her contact list and it downloaded your photo. Even if you have a picture for yourself in your contact list, it won't show to the other person regardless if they have a pic of you or not. The photo that's in your contact list does not update as your FB/social media default pic change. The picture will be the one that was posted at the time of synching FB and your address book.

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

If you read above I said it isn't even a picture of me, it's a pic of some weirdo I found online. I used it as my gmail avatar a while ago.

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I understood that it wasn't a picture of you, I was just being general in my explanation. However, you stating that it was Gmail avatar a while ago makes sense. I don't know how it gets it, but it's happened to my contacts before. It may have been pulled in an email conversation or something.

16. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh ok gotcha. So how do I know for sure the source of it and eliminate it?

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You already know the source of it is your gmail avatar. All of your gmail contacts have it and if they transfer it to their phone contacts there's no way to eliminate it. Maybe think twice before you use a weirdo as your avatar.

18. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol I barely used that account

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Doesn't matter. Google will air your dirty laundry no matter how brief the encounter.

20. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ive grown to hate Google, Facebook and Apple. They have consistently shown that they don't give a crap about their loyal customers.

21. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Anyone know where the gamecenter picture comes from?