Where does your money go?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tobefirst, Jul 16, 2007.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm wondering, aside from Apple, what one retail (online or brick and mortar) establishment, in 2007, has acquired more of your disposable income than any other. Where does your money go?

I've spent more at REI than any place else. With Apple excluded, it isn't even close.

What about you?

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Do universities count? I definitely count them as "retail", but not sure where you stand and it's your post.:)

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Probably amazon.com for me. I like that there is no tax and you can buy a lot stuff used without having to go through eBay or auctions. Stuff like video games or DVD's I pretty much always buy used from there. And the fact that most things over $25 have free shipping, it is an even better deal. In the last year I have become a very patient buyer, in that i don't need things the second they are released so I don't mind waiting a week or so for things to ship. Also, part of the enjoyment of buying them online is knowing I got the best deal.

I also look at the actual manufacturer's websites of things I want to buy. Just like Apple, many places have an outlet or clearance section. For example, Lacie has a clearance section and you can get great deals on external drives. Sony does too.

4. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I suppose you can consider restaurants and bars as retail. :)

I have been very good about not buying myself anything at all lately, with the exception of the iPhone (which I only bought because I have a tremendous week and made quite a bit of extra cash).

I no longer spend money on electronics or games or anything of that nature- just the occasional bar outing or dinner out.

5. mpw Guest

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Target. Not only are they way better than Walmart, but they are also the closest grocery store to me.

7. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Bars and restaurants are fine...but you've gotta pick ONE. :)

Hmmm...I'm really looking for more where your disposable income goes, honestly. I suppose university *could* be disposable income, but generally, I wouldn't consider it to be.

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Oooo I love Target. Some nice furnishings there- and they always have tons of clearance items!

Just one? Hmm... that's tough. I guess I'd say The Big Apple- a bar in my town. Solid food, lots of tvs, nice bartenders (and very cute, I might add!). I'm a fan of going there after a late work night, once in a while, to catch a baseball game and have a couple Yuenglings. :)

9. Turkish macrumors 6502

Williams Sonoma and Crate and Barrel, probably, but that's because I'm putting a house together...

On a day-to-day basis, likely Target.

10. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

target!

another vote for Target! :)

i live 4 miles away from a very nice, newer Target, and sometimes i go there when i don't even *need* anything!!!! it doesn't help that i use their pharmacy, either...even a quick trip to pick up my meds turns into a shopping excursion! my husband hates that. :eek:

we've gotten our living room furniture (end tables, TV stand, coffee table) from Target, as well as a large portion of my clothing, all of our bedroom and bathroom linens, and even our bikes and camping gear.

i could probably get everything i ever needed from Target, aside from groceries. ours isn't a Super Target. ;)

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

OOhhh, well nix the university and chalk me up for the bar next door (Casa Maravillas - no webpage, maybe I should mention that to them), coffee, beers and drinks during all football (soccer) games, the week, the weekend and whatever other viable occasion. :)

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Golfsmith/Golf Galaxy/TGW/Edwin Watts Golf

Bet you can't figure out what my hobby is...;)

15. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

You make bootleg Dylan recordings? Sweet hobby!:)

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

A local coffee shop, The Bean Counter.

I seriosuly must spend at least $6 there a day... it adds up... :(

17. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

iPhone (bought from AT&T) :D
    restaurants
    Books-A-Million
    vacations

18. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ah, The Bean Counter. Used to walk down the hill every day to grab a coffee from that place.

19. jng macrumors 65816

jng

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Kid's schooling. Kid's schooling. Kid's schooling. Kid's schooling.

21. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well, before the CompUSA closed down, it took a lot of my disposable income. Fry's still gets some of my disposable income, but they are a bit far away to go there often. Right now it has to be the AT&T store though, they got $600 and a monthly payment out of me now.

22. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

No one has mentioned Costco yet? I know I spend probably more there any anywhere else.

23. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Costco, go in only wanting to get certain things, walk out with $150+ for two college students.

Macys - I really have a shopping problem.

Various Restaurants - Its sushi or some nice place to eat.