Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Thank you for reading this. I know this seems to be an inane question, but I need to know where iTunes is saving artwork. Specifically, when I tell iTunes to "get album artwork", where does it go, and when I download artwork and paste it myself, where does it go? I may be wrong, but I do not think it is saving artwork in the same place when iTunes "gets" it as opposed to when I paste it.

Thank you for your thoughts.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Thank you for reading this. I know this seems to be an inane question, but I need to know where iTunes is saving artwork. Specifically, when I tell iTunes to "get album artwork", where does it go, and when I download artwork and paste it myself, where does it go? I may be wrong, but I do not think it is saving artwork in the same place when iTunes "gets" it as opposed to when I paste it.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I agree that it seems to store them differently depending on how the artwork is added (manually vs. through iTunes).

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If you paste it in, it goes in the file AND in a seperate folder, if you 'get album artwork', it doesn't embed, and just goes in a folder. This is all used for the 'coverflow' crap. At least that's how it was when 7.0 came out. This was evidenced by the fact that the iTunes screensaver didn't and perhaps still doesn't pull any of the artwork that isn't embedded. Perhaps it grabs it and embeds it when you drag music out of iTunes to send somewhere else though.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I appreciate all of your comments, especially decksnap's. I'm not at my iTunes computer to verify what you said, but that sounds right. I too have noticed that the album art screen saver acts very strange; I have over 800 CDs/album "arts" yet it is only displaying about 30 or 40. Perhaps those are the ones that I pasted. Very annoying.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Yep, and I might not be 100% correct either, but when the 'get album art' feature came in, I deleted ALL my album art and tried to re-get it at a higher quality with this feature. That's when my screensaver stopped working altogether. You would think they could have anticipated this obvious glitch. There is only one reason why it would be seperate from the file, and that would be for coverflow to rip through images faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.