Where has all my hard drive space gone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Gadget, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I am running Leopard with a 250GB HDD. Leopard was a clean install, not an upgrade.
    I have iLife '08 and iWork '08, Firefox, Toast 8, VMware, and a trial copy of Dreamweaver and not much else.
    My virtual machines, iTunes and iPhoto are on an external HDD as well as any downloads from the web. The MBP is really programs only at this point.
    I did a search for all files larger than 1GB, larger than 500MB, and larger than 200MB... No luck.

I only have 10GB free space!

Where is all my free space? Are there some files that could be hidden from search? Maybe an iMovie project or something???

I want to install Bootcamp but that will completely drain my system of space...

Thank you!

2. California macrumors 68040

California

There is some program that will break down and list all of your hd hogging apps and files. Can't remember what it is, tho. You might need to get that bigger lappie hdrive, I think it is now up to 320gbs?

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

That listing of apps shouldn't be consuming that much space...

Get a copy of WhatSize, it will scan your drive and give you a breakdown of all the space consumed on your system.

4. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

What I do when I wonder where my space has gone, is I start at the HD location, and right-click(control-click) on Applications and say get-info. Then I see how much space that folder is taking up, if it is not the culprit I go on to the users folder. Usually anything you do to your computer will be in those folders. If nothing is abnormal there, start checking your other folders(System, Library, etc.) If you can't find anything, I don't know what to tell you.

Except!
    My sister turned on File Vault, found in System Preferences on her laptop, and she loses HD space randomly, and fixes it by restarting, she has lost almost 30Gb of space before(which is alot for an 80Gb HD), and when she restarted it came back. I don't know if File Vault is what does it, but it is the only thing I could find when I was trying to troubleshoot it for her that might be messing something up. I don't know if she ever tried turning it off and seeing if it went away or not.:apple:

5. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Hum, no File Vault in my System Preferences...
    Thanks for the replies. I will check out "WhatSize".

6. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Holy Spamonie Batman!
    My iDisk is taking up 198GB ! How?

Under Library, File Sync, there is a random number (0017f2...etc.) that says it is 198GB.

My iDisk itself shows capacity of 461GB with 452GB used and 9.1GB available!
    This is nuts... How can I fix this?

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

8. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Maybe you've entered an endless loop of syncing the same data between your idisk and hdd. I don't know much about .mac accounts but would recommend taking it to an apple store because that is definitely NOT supposed to happen.

9. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Yes, I did have the local iDisk on. I manually copied the couple items I needed and then deleted the entire 198GB "file". Upon reboot, I have 206GB free! :D
    The iDisk is gone from my desktop but that is OK... Although now I can't authenticate to the online iDisk via .mac but that is fine. I will deal with that later!

Thanks all.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

11. ataboc macrumors 6502

where can i find a 320 gb laptop drive?

12. TheStu macrumors 65816

Western Digital makes them

13. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

Does anyone know where one would have to go to actually acquire this 320GB hard drive? WDs 250GB drive runs $150 at Tigerdirect. I wonder how much one would have to pay for the extra 70GB...

14. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Where's my space gone..

for conversations sake, another program that is useful in displaying how much space is being used by what, broken down into categories, is "Disk Inventory X"

http://www.derlien.com/