Where has my HDD Space Gone?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eenu, Dec 3, 2007.

1. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

When i right click on Mac HD and select Get Info it tells me i have used 94.47GB of space.

When i open Mac HD in finder and then select all the folders in there and do a group get info it says they are using 84.74GB.

So where and what is the other 9.73GB?

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

3. eenu thread starter macrumors 65816

eenu

Trash is empty. As for hidden files, i think they do but i wouldn't have thought they would be void of a space summary count.

I have noticed that my HDD space has been eaten badly in Leopard and i have no idea where it has gone!? :mad::(

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sleep state will use up a bit of it...u have a laptop right??

uuummm VM will use up something. hidden files will be in there chewing up stuff, tinkertool will allow you to view hidden files. :)

5. billmister macrumors 6502

A good app I suggest is "whatsize". It was recommended by a member here to determing what is taking up space on my computer. I once had this problem. And i saw that my imovie's project took up 10gigs, and i had a hidden folder with video's in it. Whatsize showed me the location and the size it is taking up.

I reccomend it. Check it out and let us know what what the problem. I can tell you this, there is a hidden files.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hidden files. There's a lot more in your Mac's hard drive than your Users, Applications, Library, System folders, etc. There are all of the standard UNIX directories (usr, var, etc, and others) that are hidden

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Whatsize is one of the programs i download as soon as i get a new computer. It is one of the best softwares out there. Just today i found a file which had 20GB worth of movies and pics on it that i did not know i had. As well as showing you how large the files you have are and there location it will also allow you to find stuff that you thought you no longer had.

8. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

^What he said. Not to mention the vm swapfiles as well as the spotlight index.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

are u aware of where the spotlight index is held??

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yes and are you ;)

It is held in

/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/random string of letters and numbers that is probably not that random/

Mine is ~ 380MBs

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ohhhh that thing. bahaha doooah silly me. i suppose you have taken ownership of it so u can see how big it is???

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Indeed I did.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

241.9mb :)

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Smaller than mine but even still at 380MB it is a price I am willing to pay to have instant results from searching. Especially if they bring back searching system files/folders with having to press lots of buttons.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahaha does urs being bigger mean something :confused: :rolleyes:
    yea i would still love to be able to search in the system preferences and things because i am often deleting random files from there, i had been wondering why they weren't appearing.

id still be willing to pay 1gb-2gb for spotlight, but at that size it might slow down a tad and might need a spotlight of spotlight :eek:

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I only have 77GBs used on this Macbook, it is probably relational to the size used, the types of files, the number of files.

To make them appear you have to do the following.

Open a search in a Finder window

Then click the "+"

Where it says "Kind" change that to "Other" then search in that window for "system files" check the checkbox for "in menu" (saves time in the future).
    Then change "don't include" to "include".

By which time it would have actually been quicker to navigate to the file anyway.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahh ok ive only used ~55gb. (xp partition not included)

so the search function searches everything, but spotlight does not... thats pretty silly, but i spose it would work in a school environment and things like that.
    thanks for the advice
    have a good sleep :p im off to see the wizard in a sec :cool:

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Of course what would've been nice is the option to chose.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahh too true, but alas im afraid apple is the one that doesn't give that option 9/10 times.

if that makes sense.....