where has the download toolbar icon gone?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by inscrewtable, May 5, 2017.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

I accidentally dragged the download icon off my Safari toolbar. No problem hey, just go to toolbar options and put it back, right?

Wrong, there isn't one in the toolbar options, not even on the standard set. If I download a file it appears back on the toolbar but only in a temporary form with a thin arrow and when the file is downloaded it disappears again.

I could probably trash all the preferences maybe or even reinstall Safari but I'm hoping there's a less annoying solution.

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is how it works now and there is no way to get it back to the old way where you could see the icon all the time.

3. MC6800 macrumors 6502

There is one way to keep the icon there: download something and then never clear downloads. On the other hand, you can take the presence of the icon as a reminder.

4. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Wow, that's weird, so they didn't remove it they just wait for you to accidentally remove it and then won't let you put it back!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like I mentioned, it only appears while you are downloading, so I'm guessing you dragged it off while it was downloading. What you described in your second paragraph is exactly how it works for me also.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

No, it's not in System Preferences > Toolbar. BUT, if you go into finder and right-click/control-click on the Downloads folder in the sidebar, you'll have an Add to Dock option (Sierra 10.12.4).