where has the home folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blue-lion, Oct 8, 2011.

1. blue-lion macrumors member

hello, i have recently created a second account so my son can have access to my itunes music in the public folder(as per the apple recommendations), however when i log in as him i cant see his home folder ,which i belive has the folder that contains 'public'. Without this i cant instruct his itunes to look in this folder for the shared music.

please help!!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

in your son's account, click on the Finder icon in the dock, then go up to Go -> Home.
    in Lion, the default new Finder window is not the home folder. you can change this back by going up to Finder -> Preferences.
    probably you just upgraded to lion but your account kept the default window setting from Snow Leopard, but as you just created this account for your son anew, it uses the new default. thus, confusion.

alternatively, as posted above, you can always find it in Macintosh HD / Users / *name*

4. blue-lion thread starter macrumors member

accessing the iTunes music from 2 accounts on computer

hello again and thanks for responding to my query. However i'm still confused??. i initially moved my 'iTunes media' folder to mYappleID\public.. in my account thinking if it was public then my son could also see this folder. When i go into his account he has his own public folder but this is empty??.

alternatively ,i can't seem to navigate to to users/shared when in
    itunes>preferences>advanced

it won't let me go that far into the folder structure ??.

Or am i going about this all wrong???

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you looked at that link I provided about sharing music between accounts?

6. blue-lion thread starter macrumors member

shared music

thanks , I've read your link

i have now moved the library again to users\shared\itunes media\....
    However, after i have gone back into my sons account and change his setting in iTunes preferences to point to this folder , i was expecting to see iTunes showing the common shared music??

there is still nothing in there?, is there something else to do?. do i refresh it in some way?. i have tried going logging out and back in. nothing ?

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Have you built an iTunes library file under his login? If not, drag the music files (from the shared folder) into iTunes while logged in as him. It will populate an iTunes library file for him.

Otherwise, you'll need to copy your iTunes library file to his folder, and open iTunes under his Mac login, and log into iTunes using your Apple ID. But at this point, he might as well be using your Mac login.

8. blue-lion thread starter macrumors member

shared music

when you say "drag the music files (from the shared folder) into iTunes",what do you mean exactly?