Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
The other day, I went to print an email, from my iPad Air 2 to my non 'Air Print' compatible HP printer, however, there was no 'Open With' icon, within the Mail app since updating to iOS 10.

Previously, what would happen is this : I have a Printer Pro app on my iPad Air 2. When I wanted to print an email, at the top right of the Mail app, there would be an icon which, when tapped, would give you the option to open the email, within another app - so in this case, I would find the email I wanted to print and tap the 'Open With' icon, and one of the options would be the Printer Pro app, however, now in iOS 10, this 'Open With' option seems to have been removed??
:confused:

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
The other day, I went to print an email, from my iPad Air 2 to my non 'Air Print' compatible HP printer, however, there was no 'Open With' icon, within the Mail app since updating to iOS 10.

Previously, what would happen is this : I have a Printer Pro app on my iPad Air 2. When I wanted to print an email, at the top right of the Mail app, there would be an icon which, when tapped, would give you the option to open the email, within another app - so in this case, I would find the email I wanted to print and tap the 'Open With' icon, and one of the options would be the Printer Pro app, however, now in iOS 10, this 'Open With' option seems to have been removed??
:confused:

iOS 10 has new print functionality outlined here.

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/ios-10-print-pdf/

See if your app is listed when you get to step 3.

Reactions: Dino F

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
...thanks for that - will give it a go tonight and report back.

Yes indeed, I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

The new native "print to pdf" (or other app) function is welcome, but Apple really buried it and did not communicate very well how to use it. I hope this works with your print app.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Success!!!!

The instructions in that article do indeed work! Tried that on my iPad Air 2 and it works fine. When you tap on the 'Reply' button and then select the option to Print, the email you want to print, kinda shrinks a little. If you then do a reverse pinch (fingers in the centre of the email and then you expand them outwards), the email then becomes full page and you then get the 'Share' icon in the top right (which isn't there when reading the email normally).

Clicking this share icon then gives me the option to 'Open In' where I then see my app (Printer Pro).

;)

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Success!!!!

The instructions in that article do indeed work! Tried that on my iPad Air 2 and it works fine. When you tap on the 'Reply' button and then select the option to Print, the email you want to print, kinda shrinks a little. If you then do a reverse pinch (fingers in the centre of the email and then you expand them outwards), the email then becomes full page and you then get the 'Share' icon in the top right (which isn't there when reading the email normally).

Clicking this share icon then gives me the option to 'Open In' where I then see my app (Printer Pro).

;)

Great, thanks for posting your results! So did it work to print your email using the Printer Pro app? Good to know for those using third party printing apps.

I use that procedure to save my emails as PDF documents, and then export them to iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive. Prior to iOS10, this could only be done natively on an iPhone with 3D Touch.

Side note, I'm not sure why but Apple has never included a Share Sheet in the Mail app. Go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.