Where have the plastic screen protectors gone?

Brien

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Going to big box stores, or looking on Amazon, all I see are tempered glass screen protectors... I have no idea when this started happening (sometime after buying some for my 6+).

Anyone know of any good plastic ones for the 7/7+?

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Going to big box stores, or looking on Amazon, all I see are tempered glass screen protectors... I have no idea when this started happening (sometime after buying some for my 6+).

Not sure. I honestly thought glass was better and have not looked for plastic in a long time.
[doublepost=1476765830][/doublepost]Just checked, they have them on Amazon.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Film protectors are getting harder to find. I prefer them to glass myself.

AhemThisGuy

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016

Bestskinsever has it.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
You don't need a screen protector. These phones hold up extremely well.
Always the "I don't need a screen protector" person chiming in.

There's three sorts of folks who go without screen protectors: Those who succeed in never having any scratches, those who don't care about minor scratches, and those who regret their choice.

Unless you're willing to put up escrow for the OP to have his screen repaired, it's stupid advice to tell someone they don't need one. You don't know their situation or how carefully they handle their phone.
[doublepost=1476791666][/doublepost]
I'm not looking for opinions on glass vs. plastic or protector vs. naked, but thanks anyway.
I think with as cheap as glass protectors have become the market has shifted away from plastic.

GreenOnionSupply made real good ones for the 6 and 6s, I don't know if they're doing their plastic oleophobic for the 7. When I got my 7 I did temporarily move the one I had on my 6 over to the 7 and it seemed to fit fine. I did real the 7+ is different from the 6s+ though. I ended up switching to a glass screen protector.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Always the "I don't need a screen protector" person chiming in.

There's three sorts of folks who go without screen protectors: Those who succeed in never having any scratches, those who don't care about minor scratches, and those who regret their choice.

Unless you're willing to put up escrow for the OP to have his screen repaired, it's stupid advice to tell someone they don't need one. You don't know their situation or how carefully they handle their phone.
[doublepost=1476791666][/doublepost]
I think with as cheap as glass protectors have become the market has shifted away from plastic.

GreenOnionSupply made real good ones for the 6 and 6s, I don't know if they're doing their plastic oleophobic for the 7. When I got my 7 I did temporarily move the one I had on my 6 over to the 7 and it seemed to fit fine. I did real the 7+ is different from the 6s+ though. I ended up switching to a glass screen protector.
I couldn't agree more. Spot on.

In regards to the @Brien 's question, I think glass is considered an evolution of the plastic films--an improvement. Glass has much better feel than film and is generally more transparent/less noticeable.

While glass protectors used to be much more expensive ($40), they've come down drastically, and are now competitively priced.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

In regards to the @Brien 's question, I think glass is considered an evolution of the plastic films--an improvement. Glass has much better feel than film and is generally more transparent/less noticeable.

While glass protectors used to be much more expensive ($40), they've come down drastically, and are now competitively priced.
Can't beat Tech Armor glass protectors two for under $10 on amazon.

Brien

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008

But are the glass ones still fairly thick (at least compared to films)? I've never liked how they make the home button/sides of the phone feel.

Reactions: AlphaHumanus

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
But are the glass ones still fairly thick (at least compared to films)? I've never liked how they make the home button/sides of the phone feel.
Thickness depends on the protector. Some add significant bulk, but others are surprisingly/deceptively thin.

I've never noticed the sides feeling different (I use edge-to-edge protectors), and I actually prefer the cutout for the home button b/c it's easier to feel the orientation of the phone in my hand without looking.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Can't beat Tech Armor glass protectors two for under $10 on amazon.
You got that right. And now they are offering 2pk for $8 and 3pk for $10. Can't beat it. Tempered is the way to go. But I guess I can understand someone who wants to run plastic......I guess.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
As stated it seems to depend on the individual brand/model of protector chosen. I don't really notice anything with the SpiGens but I also have my phone in a thin Elago case. I can see where it may be more noticeable if I were using the phone without a case.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I'm with op. I've stayed away from the glass protectors based on previous experience with thickness.

As my i6 gets older, I'm realizing I may want a screen protector on my next phone.

trife

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2012
Power Support Crystal Film.

Pricey, but you get two and they are amazingly good quality.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
The Belkin anti glare plastic screen protectors for the 7 & 7 plus are now on apple's site (and it listed avaialbe in apple stores)

I've never used a glass protector, only the plastic, so I was hoping they'd be available before I picked up the new phone! Glad they are there now (and it can be applied in store)

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Call Verizon stores to see if they have their Verizon branded screen protectors. It's usually 3 in a pack and pretty decent.