Where have the plastic screen protectors gone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Brien, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Going to big box stores, or looking on Amazon, all I see are tempered glass screen protectors... I have no idea when this started happening (sometime after buying some for my 6+).

Anyone know of any good plastic ones for the 7/7+?

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You don't need a screen protector. These phones hold up extremely well.

3. Brien thread starter macrumors 68020

Brien

I'm not looking for opinions on glass vs. plastic or protector vs. naked, but thanks anyway.

4. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Not sure. I honestly thought glass was better and have not looked for plastic in a long time.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2016 ---
    Just checked, they have them on Amazon.

5. off_piste macrumors 6502a

6. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Film protectors are getting harder to find. I prefer them to glass myself.

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

8. AhemThisGuy macrumors member

Bestskinsever has it.

9. kungxpao macrumors regular

kungxpao

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Always the "I don't need a screen protector" person chiming in.

There's three sorts of folks who go without screen protectors: Those who succeed in never having any scratches, those who don't care about minor scratches, and those who regret their choice.

Unless you're willing to put up escrow for the OP to have his screen repaired, it's stupid advice to tell someone they don't need one. You don't know their situation or how carefully they handle their phone.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 18, 2016 ---
    I think with as cheap as glass protectors have become the market has shifted away from plastic.

GreenOnionSupply made real good ones for the 6 and 6s, I don't know if they're doing their plastic oleophobic for the 7. When I got my 7 I did temporarily move the one I had on my 6 over to the 7 and it seemed to fit fine. I did real the 7+ is different from the 6s+ though. I ended up switching to a glass screen protector.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I couldn't agree more. Spot on.

In regards to the @Brien 's question, I think glass is considered an evolution of the plastic films--an improvement. Glass has much better feel than film and is generally more transparent/less noticeable.

While glass protectors used to be much more expensive ($40), they've come down drastically, and are now competitively priced.

12. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Can't beat Tech Armor glass protectors two for under $10 on amazon.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep - when I saw SpiGen glass protectors at 2-for-$8 on Amazon I quit looking at/for plastic ones. I'm unsure why they're not reviewing better, mine's been great. Especially for the price.

14. Brien thread starter macrumors 68020

Brien

But are the glass ones still fairly thick (at least compared to films)? I've never liked how they make the home button/sides of the phone feel.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thickness depends on the protector. Some add significant bulk, but others are surprisingly/deceptively thin.

I've never noticed the sides feeling different (I use edge-to-edge protectors), and I actually prefer the cutout for the home button b/c it's easier to feel the orientation of the phone in my hand without looking.

16. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

You got that right. And now they are offering 2pk for $8 and 3pk for $10. Can't beat it. Tempered is the way to go. But I guess I can understand someone who wants to run plastic......I guess.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

As stated it seems to depend on the individual brand/model of protector chosen. I don't really notice anything with the SpiGens but I also have my phone in a thin Elago case. I can see where it may be more noticeable if I were using the phone without a case.

18. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I'm with op. I've stayed away from the glass protectors based on previous experience with thickness.

As my i6 gets older, I'm realizing I may want a screen protector on my next phone.

19. trife macrumors 6502

trife

Power Support Crystal Film.

Pricey, but you get two and they are amazingly good quality.

20. Coffee50 macrumors regular

The Belkin anti glare plastic screen protectors for the 7 & 7 plus are now on apple's site (and it listed avaialbe in apple stores)

I've never used a glass protector, only the plastic, so I was hoping they'd be available before I picked up the new phone! Glad they are there now (and it can be applied in store)

21. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Call Verizon stores to see if they have their Verizon branded screen protectors. It's usually 3 in a pack and pretty decent.