HomePod Where have you positioned your HomePod?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by methoz, Feb 10, 2018.

1. methoz macrumors newbie

Hey all, I've noticed everyone banging on about how awesome the sound is on their HomePod but mine just doesn't seem to blow me away. Perhaps it's the position I have it or I just had higher expectations.

Thought I'd ask where do you have yours positioned and what songs are you playing because I've tried it on my desk out in the open and next to walls, the window ledge, the living room, on the dining table and on the floor. Mine seems to sound best when stood up close on my bedside cabinet and when I'm positioned over it, the bass seems to pop then.

I mostly listen to deep house and it just doesn't seem to punch the way I expected it to. My friend has a Play 5 and is sat in his living room on a carpeted floor and that seems to produce way more of a kick.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suspect that has a lot to do with your disappointment.

Take your HomePod over there and place it beside the Play 5 and compare/constrast the difference. That way you'll get an apples to apples comparison.

3. methoz thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea, thanks! :D

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

6. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

In a perfect world I’d have too, bit for now I have one.

In my (small bedroom) on my TV stand for AirPlaying my  TV (my Sony tv has poor speakers) and music (super low volume while I sleep).

When I’m having a work day I move it to my office on a 3 foot table against a wall. I assume it readjusts itself and I listen to that instead of my $10 usb speakers.

7. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

For those not impressed with the sound consider this... The impressiveness of this device is the clarity and accuracy of the sound, not that it'll blow you out of your seat with bass or loudness.

I've even airplayed some mp3s of mine that were ripped in the early 2000s at 192 kbps and the HomePod has breathed new life into my collection with how good it makes them sound.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

been in various rooms with it just to see how it performs.

Ultimately they will be down in my office paired.

9. marconiusrex, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

marconiusrex macrumors regular

marconiusrex

When I got it up and running last night I also didn't think as much of the sound as all the hype out there. I tried it in several locations around the house. Dining room table, end table by sofa in corner and then in bedroon on the night stand. I was also disappointed that the volume would not go as high as I wanted it to. I though it sounded best in the smaller bedroom setting last night. BUT today I placed it in the center of my dining room on a buffet that is 42" high , about 1'-6" from a back wall and for whatever reason it sounds SO much better today. Maybe I found a sweet spot or maybe the speaker takes just a bit of use to really open up.

10. methoz thread starter macrumors newbie

Funnily enough mine sounds better today lol haven't moved it, maybe needed a warm up!