Where high tech and "timelessness" meet...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by David58117, Jul 4, 2015.

1. David58117 macrumors 65816

I love my SGS, and kind of have been considering a SS version.

But what stops me is - what happens when the next generation comes out?

It's way too easy to get lost in the fashion/construction aspect, and to forget that this is a tech piece with a limited lifespan.

It's not something that can be passed on to a child, and after all that fashion talk - who cares how pretty it looks once the OS stops being supported and the tech has moved on?

It seems like the more I have it, the more I come to think taking a tech piece (especially when you're a company that prides itself on constantly improving), and adding a fashion/"timeless" aspect - is a huge mistake.

I almost had my watch packed up and ready for an exchange, before the reality of that thought hit.

So now I'm wondering - people who have already made that commitment - what are you planning to do with your watch once it's outdated?

How far does the fashion aspect/construction go, once the OS is not supported and your battery is on life support?

I can just picture in 10-15 years, someone handing their child their gen 1 Apple Watch - the battery being long dead, and wearable tech looking very different.

What are you going to tell them?

That it doesn't do anything or work, but has a sapphire display?

Anyway, just thinking out loud..

2. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

I will sell it and buy the new version if there is enough for me to upgrade to. Are you going to pass down your iPhone in 10-15 years? No. It's a piece of tech not a timeless timepiece.

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

You could always replace the battery.

The construction and fashion aspects of the Apple Watch are *not* to make it timeless... those are because you wear the Watch exposed on your wrist. It needs to look good and be extremely durable.

(BTW, fashions shift all the time, so don't think fashion == timeless.)

Somehow are thinking the the Apple Watch is promising to become a family heirloom, but forget about that. I think people get that idea from high-end mechanical watches. But the Apple Watch is not a high-end mechanical watch. Don't expect it to be one and just enjoy your watch now.

The SS is great. Make the exchange and enjoy it for what it is. It will last for years.

4. Ries macrumors 68000

5. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Generally I sell the previous version of any Apple gadget when I decide to get the new one. I sold my iPad Air when I upgraded to the Air 2, and sold my 5S when I get my 6 Plus.

I will either do that when the next-gen comes out, or I may just keep it as a personal "collector's" item... at this point in time, still undecided on that end.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In reality, a 42mm SS Watch costs less than a 64GB iPhone 6, so I wouldn't expect it to last any longer than an iPhone and certainly not to become an heirloom!

7. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

I think people are taking the "watch" part of the name too seriously. It is technically a watch. But it's not a timepiece. It's an OLED screen that displays the time. You wouldn't consider a calculator watch an heirloom would you?

8. Mac2me, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't get this "well will I have it in 10-15 years or be able to pass down" philosophy. People do that with mechanical watches that cost thousands and those watches might still look nice in 10-15 or more years but still will only just tell the time unless in need of repair. Their cases will scratch too and need buffing, their sapphire crystals can crack and need replacing. I understand from someone that repairs on these high end watches can be hundreds of dollars depending on what needs done. We're not talking gold version here, so our watch investment is like the cost of a high end DVR model or surround sytem maybe. I don't expect to have my tv/audio equipment forever, nor my watch.

Didn't I just hear recently that Apple was doing an OS update for the phones that would bring the 4 or 4s current (except of course for some hardware features it didn't come with to begin with). I really doubt the Watches are going to stop functioning and be useless any time soon. It's to Apple's advantage to keep the base as wide as possible for the ecosystem benefits. And we know the battery and screen on these are replaceable from the iFixIt tear downs. If Apple doesn't provide the battery change, I'm sure other third party repair companies will. Those companies will probably do screen replacements too. So I see these as non-issues.

OP, one can sit on the sidelines forever waiting for something better, and time goes by and sometimes you are still left waiting. Or you get hit by a bus and die. I'd say if you like the look of the Stainless version, already like having an AW and wear it, and the extra $200 or so cost won't break the bank, look at it as a useful piece of jewelry you will use day in and day out for years to come. Most people will sell or trade in their old phones over time and I don't see how the Watch will be any different. I'm happy with my SS watch and how I interact with it now, so for me all the other issues aren't even a concern. Nothing last forever. If you are one those people who must have the latest and greatest, well then continue to use you SGS and update when the next version or two comes in if it has the features you feel is worth the extra dollars from sport to stainless.

So what is it that has you considering the SS model?

9. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I'll buy a new SS when the next generation comes out if there is a significant upgrade and pass the current one down. I love my Apple watch - no second thoughts or regrets about getting it.