Where/How do I plug in Guitar on a Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cowlesz, Jan 5, 2010.

1. cowlesz macrumors newbie

I just bought a macbook a few days ago. I'm totally new to it and therefore a complete dumbass. :eek: So....

I want to start using my guitar with Garage Band. I know I need a 1/4" to a 1/8" adaptor. (In the process of buying one). However.........

Where do I plug that into? On my Mac there is definitely a headphone jack-in. But there doesn't seem to be a mic jack-in.

Is it the same thing? Or do I need to buy something like this?

http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/41/49/68301.html

Cheers dudes.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's both input and output in one port. Annoying if you want to have headphones and a guitar, but there we go. Hope that helps.

3. cowlesz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate. I was hoping that was the case. Do you know if the link I posted is worth buying or not?

4. ronnes macrumors newbie

regular input on mac with the original sound card im afraid sucks with guitar.....you will get latency! which is no fun playing with. strum a chord and you´ll hear it half a second later.

i think that link of yours would dissapoint you...

a tip!

check out Native Instruments Guitarrig with the session soundcard! i use it and its good value for the money! lots of cool sounds to use with guitar and you can open it in garageband to use it with recording.

heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Native-Inst...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a6197713

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I always found to solve that you just hit record on GB just briefly, when you stop recording, it's synced up with a lot less latency.

Also, the iMic is terrible, I had one, broke within a few months, terrible build quality. Do not buy it.

6. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I also recommend the cheap Guitar Rig setup. For $99 you get a low latency interface as well as the Lite version of Guitar Rig, who's tones are much better than the amp modeling in GarageBand or Logic for that matter.

Guitar Rig Mobile

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I already have an M-Audio Fast Track USB which I use with my guitar and GarageBand. Does anyone know if it can be used with Guitar Rig, or do you have to use Native Instruments' own USB interface?

For the OP, the Fast Track USB (~$82) is an option as well for GarageBand, but the base one has two inputs, one an XLR for a microphone and one a 1/4" for your guitar. The guitar input is input #2 and parts of GarageBand are hardcoded to only use input #1, so I broke down and bought an XLR to 1/4" cord which brought the Fast Track to the same price as the Guitar Rig Mobile.

8. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Yes you can use any interface with it; I currently use a Firebox and a UX2 with it.

9. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Mine worked great... for about a year. Enjoyed it while it worked, and Final Vinyl turned out to be rather useful even without the iMic.
    It's not a quality recording solution for live input though.

10. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Cool. I'll download the demo and see how it works.

11. ecapdeville macrumors member

ecapdeville

Hello, I got a M-AUDIO Firewire SOLO audio Interface wich is pretty good for guitar, bass and microphone recording, I recomend it.

cheers from mexico city,

[​IMG]

12. WSMuser macrumors newbie

look at the Apogee GIO Interface

We bought our son this one for xmas ... he connects his fender sc to his imac ... works a treat ... straight into garageband ... it is a bit pricey but since he has had it he has not played his guitar through his normal amp ...

Available on from online apple store

[]Apogee GiO Guitar Interface
    Apogee's GiO is the easiest way to plug your guitar into your Mac. Its foot switches revolutionise the guitar experience by letting you access the amplifiers and effects in GarageBand, Logic and MainStage and also navigate record, playback and song position, all without touching your computer.

Plug your guitar into the professional Instrument Input
    Easily navigate presets with the “Next” and “Previous” buttons
    Turn on and off effects with your feet
    Completely hands-free recording with five transport controls